2·3

"Go away, Adam," Kong growled

Adam, chuckled in amusement, settling down into the seat next to mine. "Calm your balls, feisty."

"What do you want?" asked Kong.

Oh, I knew all too well what he wanted. I'd ignored all his threats-unknowingly-for the past month and despite the fact that he was smiling, I knew he was here to seal my fate.

Fuck.

Smile unwavering, he faced me, "I'm actually here to see you." His smile dropped and he turned to Kong. "There's something you need to know."

My blood turned to ice and I laughed nervously. "What could you possibly want to tell Kong, huh? You've been nothing but a bully to him."

"Yes, that's true. But you're just as bad as I am for not telling him." He faced me again and I took the opportunity to beg him with my stare. If Adam was going to do what I thought he was going to do, Kong would never forgive me.

It wasn't news about how Kong was endlessly devoted to me. When I'd staged the breakup between James and I, I'd faced Adam and pointed to him as the one I cheated on James with. Kong was there and he'd seen the entire thing unfold.

Some days earlier James' dad had done something to make me feel unworthy of his son and I was really mad about it. So mad that I'd gone to a party and gotten drunk. And when I'd spotted Adam, equally as drunk as I was, I'd kissed him.

I don't know why I did it, probably to get the burn out of my chest. But I did, and Adam pushed me away. When I'd gotten home and Kong saw my state he asked where I'd been. That was when I told him. I'd lied to him and told him that Adam kissed me.

So at that party when I broke up with James, when I'd brought up the same lie, Adam was so stunned he couldn't speak and James took it for guilt. Kong on the other hand, saw me as the victim. Because of my lie.

The same lie Adam was about to straighten.

"You've not told him about it, have you?" Adam's voice taunted me. I swallowed, fear and dread creeping up my veins.

"Adam, please don't."

"What is it, Avery?" Kong asked.

I turned to him and shook my head, beads of cold sweat forming on my forehead. One ran down the side of my face as I stared at my best friend's confused expression. A part of me imagined that expression morphing into disappointment.

"It's nothing you should be worried about."

"I beg to differ," Adam cut in. "He deserves to know."

"Know about what, Avery?" Kong pressed. The walls were closing in. I couldn't focus. Couldn't breathe.

"It's--"

"What's going on, babe?" We all turned to the owner of the foreign voice in our conversation.