2·5

I was beginning to get accustomed to James' scent, it was the same one I was hit with the second he threw the doors to his apartment open and ushered me in

I was beginning to get accustomed to James' scent, it was the same one I was hit with the second he threw the doors to his apartment open and ushered me in. He deposited the plastic bags on the kitchen island and grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge, downing it almost instantly.

When he turned around, I was still standing in front of the door, hands together in front of me.

"Are you just going to stand there?"

Will an awkward chuckle-because that was exactly what I was, awkward-I had a seat on the sofa but still held my hands together.

James rolled his eyes and laughed, heading into his room, emerging seconds later with three notebooks and one spiral bound document. "You don't have to be stiff around me. I don't bite my friends."

I didn't reply, just took the books from him and had a look at the assignment. James had always had a hatred for history, his elective. Since he didn't need it as a business major, it only meant more work for him. And even though he did fairly good at the course, he needed my help with his assignments most times.

While we were still together infact, I was the one who'd-

No. No thinking about the past. No thinking about what had been. I needed to concentrate on getting used to James.

I looked to him in the kitchen grabbing cups and two plates on a tray. My stare snapped back to the books when he turned around.

How the hell was I supposed to do that?

"It's very difficult, right?" inquired James, sitting down next to me and offering me a blueberry muffin.

I took it and thanked him. "Not at all. You just need to look a little closer at things."

For the next two hours, we went over the assignment. Well, I went over the assignment. James only chipped in on intervals with observations, jokes and more food. Eventually, we'd moved from the sofa to the floor for more room.

As much as I tried, I couldn't get over the feeling of deja vu. The last time I'd helped him with his history assignment, we'd been in this exact position. A pizza box in one corner, wraps and wraps of chocolate scattered all around, and James watching me intently while I did his homework. There was one difference though.

Back then, each time I'd look up, he'd have this simmering hot gaze fixed on me and I'd all but melt. And before either of us knew it, we'd end up cuddling in his bed.

The remembrance made my stomach twist into multiple knots and my heart clench. I hadn't looked up from this assignment since I sat down to focus on it. I was too scared of what might or might not happen.

"And that..." I put down the finishing touches on the work and my last full stop. Then I looked up for the first time and found James leaning against the sofa, staring at me like I was some sophisticated science experiment he wanted to crack. I cleared my throat and handed the notebook back to him. "Is that."