2·7

The school's stadium was already overflowing with students by the time Kong and I walked in holding packs of popcorn and a bottle of water each

The school's stadium was already overflowing with students by the time Kong and I walked in holding packs of popcorn and a bottle of water each. Kong chomped away on his popcorn, indifferent about the situation we currently were in.

"We don't have anywhere to sit, Kong," I complained, pushing the handle of my backpack back up my shoulder.

Kong paused mid-chew and pouted. "We could always stand."

"I am not spending ninety minutes standing for a game that I didn't even want to be at." I narrowed my eyes at him, staring daggers into his forehead while he just stood there. Kong shrugged and went back to eating his popcorn.

I wanted to hit him into oblivion. I opened my mouth to rain curses and fire but was interrupted by my ringtone going off. With a grunt of frustration, I pulled the phone out of my back pocket and stared at the screen. In the seconds that followed, I simply gaped and blinked at the blaring screen, ringtone almost swallowed by all the noise around us.

"You should probably pick it up before it goes to voicemail," suggested Kong, pushing his bangs out of his eyes and crumpling the popcorn packet in his left hand.

I scowled at him. "Yeah I know that." Then I picked up the call and slapped the phone to my ear. "How do you have my number?"

"Never lost it," replied James in a flat tone. "Where are you? I've been trying to reach you for the past hour. I thought we were going to the game together?"

I bit down on my lip, stumbling over excuses and lies in my brain. "I decided to drop Kong off. His car's engine knocked so it's getting fixed."

It was only half a lie. I knew James would not have a problem dropping Kong and I. But I needed to be away from him for some time. To reset. And being in a car with him wasn't going to do me any good.

"You're at the stadium already?"

"Yeah, we just got here. The place is packed."

In front of me, Kong mouthed, "who's that?" mimicking my position with a hand to his ear and the other pointing to my phone. I ignored him.

In the background through my phone, I heard the car door shut and footsteps sound. "I just got here. Where are you?"

"Er." My gaze flickered around in search of a landmark. I paused when I spotted one. "By the left of the school's banner. We're standing next to the doors."

"Don't go anywhere, I'm coming to find you." Before I could even bring my head to wrap itself around what he was saying, James had already hung up. I slowly brought the phone down and took a deep breath.

I could do this. I could survive James. When he got here, I was going to ask him how long our fake dating was going to last so I could mentally prepare for everything he could possibly throw at me. Hopefully.