𝒇𝒊𝒗𝒆. control test

[ 1.06 ]

someone likes me.

        Maya walked into the parking garage with bags filled with food from the grocery store and one earbud playing music in her ears. "Damn it," she cursed under her breath when she realized she was on the wrong level. She went up one level and stopped in the middle of the parking garage to get the keys.

        Putting the bags down she pointed the keys around her until she heard the car's disengage chirp from the level above her. She looked up until she realized the milk fell out of one of the bags and rolled under a car, "Oh, crap."

        She went to reach under the car when it suddenly rolled back. Maya slowly looked up and saw and shadow behind her in the reflection and ran. She ran down a level and hid behind a car. "Oh, crap," she repeated hearing how loud her heartbeat was. Hearing footsteps she turned a corner and jumped on multiple cars making their alarms go off.

        Maya hid behind another car to settle her heartbeat when her phone went off. "No. No, stop," she whispered. She heard a thud above her but before she could react someone lifted her and slammed her onto the car.

        "You're dead," Derek said.

        "Are you insane?! What the hell was that," she asked as he held his hand out to help her off the car. They stood there for a moment with her hand in his but after realizing she held on for too long she cleared her throat and diverted eye contact.

        "I said I was gonna teach you. I didn't say when," the raven—haired boy said as they walked back to get the groceries.

        "You scared the crap out of me," she yelled.

        "Not yet."

        "Okay but I was fast, right?"

        "Not fast enough."

        "But the car alarm thing, that was smart, right?"

        "Till your phone rang."

        "Yeah, but that was—I mean . . . would you just stop! Please," she stopped walking. He turned around to face her, "I need you to teach me how to control this. I may know how to keep myself from turning but I know there's going to be a time when I need to and I need to be able to to do so."

        "Look, I am what I am because of birth. You were bitten. Teaching someone who was bitten takes time, especially when it's two of you. I don't even know if I can teach you."

        "What do I have to do?"

        "You have to get rid of distractions," he pulled Maya's phone from her jacket. "You see this," he asked showing her the screen that said 'Missed call from: Lyds Martin <3' as well as three texts from Stiles. "This is why I caught you. You want me to teach you? Get rid of them."

        "Are you kidding? No. They're the only people I've ever been able to tell anything. They're my best friends." Seeing him hold up her phone and start to turn around she yelled, "Wait—Wait! Woah!" She grabbed his arm and yanked it back to so he couldn't throw the phone, "No need to take it out on my phone," she snapped.

        "You getting angry? That's your first lesson. You want to learn of to control this, how to shift, you do it through anger, by tapping into a primal animal rage, and you do that with them around."

        "I can get angry."

        "Not angry enough," he practically yelled at her. "This is the only way that I can teach you."