Avoidance

Sapphire's P.O.V

Three days, is how long I've gone without a word from Joshua and a peep out of Blake. It was odd and partly unsettling. I felt as if something was going on, something I didn't know about. I kept trying to get a hold of Joshua but he wasn’t replying to any of my text or calls. When Friday - today - hit I wondered if we were still on for tonight.

Sitting down at the lunch table I pulled out my phone for the hundredth time. Entering in the four-digit password, I immediately went to my text messages. Looking over my messages between Joshua and me, I scrolled down to see if he had replied to any of my thirty-five texts. Sighing, I saw that he hadn’t. Part of me started to slowly debate if I should text and ask if we are still on for tonight. Finally gathering up the courage to do so I sent him a brief text.

Me: Are we still on for tonight?

Not seconds later he replied in the shortest text he has ever sent me.

Joshua: Yea

My heart jumped at the fact that he had texted me back but I was also upset. He had replied, meaning he got my other messages, but just choose not to reply.

Me: Is something wrong? I feel like you have been avoiding me...

Staring at the dimly lit screen of my cell phone, I waited for his reply.

Suddenly Alicia came out from behind me and grabbed my phone. I knew from the past that is was her attempt to get my attention, but now was not the best time to keep my cell captive. With an open of her mouth, Alicia started to talk about tonight as everyone sat down. All while she was yacking on and on I was trying not to get mad and yank my phone from her hand. I stared at Alicia's hand that was clasping my phone. By the time I heard her speak to me I had already planned out one hundred different ways to get my cell away from her. More than half my plans involved her being out cold on the floor when I was done.

“I think we should eat around seven,” Alicia stated. "Agreed Sapphire?” She asked as she tucked my turquoise cased phone into her yellow skinny jeans. Sticking her tongue out at me, Alicia waited for me to reply.

“Sound good to us,” Linx said as he placed his arm on the back of Carmen’s chair.

“No can do for me,” I answered as my lips touched the cool can of my Dr. Pepper. Taking a huge sip, I knew everyone was looking at me. They wanted to know why seven o’clock wouldn’t work ... but thing is I wasn’t willing to tell them -- Linx -- that the guy I’m ‘dating’ has a son and I was planning on going trick or treating with them before it got too late. Exhaling I wondered if that was even still happening...

“Why does that not work for you?” Linx asked as he looked at me with curious eyes.

I nibbled on the inside of my cheek. I couldn’t lie ... they would see my nose curl and I’d be caught and forced to face the truth ... My mind started to come up with ways I can respond to them without fully lying. The seconds ticked on and I felt everyone train their eyes directly on me, waiting for my reply. “Joshua needs to get home before seven,” I honestly stated.