UnEXpected

Sapphire’s P.O.V 

His words rang in my ears like a tornado siren, loud and clear, but unexpected. My lungs were gradually losing oxygen as I forgot how to breathe. Joshua had truly left me speechless as my brain continued to try and rack around what he just admitted.

“Sapphire, you okay?” Joshua inquired as he waved his hand in front of my face.

Snapping out of my thoughts I gave him a slight nod. “Yeah, me, I’m fine ... peachy in fact ... so ... Ummm...”

“Peachy? A guy tells you he is falling for you and you are doing peachy?” Joshua jokes with a wide smile that made me want to melt. “Hey, listen, Sapphire, I am not sorry about tell you that I’m falling for you but  ... I am sorry for springing it up on you right here and now. I would have picked somewhere more romantic to tell you ... but my big mouth just let it slip out.”

I chuckled, “Its fine Joshua. I’m just glad that someone in my life can be honest.”

“What do you mean?”

Biting my bottom lip I realized that I had told Joshua that I broke up with Blake, but I didn’t tell him the circumstances of the break up. Knowing that it wasn’t the right time or place, I shook head. “Oh, nothing...” With those two words Joshua and I locked eyes.

Shaking his head at me, Joshua indicated he knew I was lying but for some reason he didn’t press for a truthful answer. “Anyways,” Joshua said before taking a long sip of his coke.

I looked down to see that my Sprite was in front me. Squeezing the lemon in the clear, fizzy drink, I waited from Joshua to speak some more.

“I wanted to talk to you about two things,” he finally spoke after setting his drink back down on the plastic wooden patterned table.

“None of which involve you telling me that you don’t want to be around me anymore, I am guessing.”

An appalled look fell on Joshua’s face. “What? ... Oh, Sapphire, don’t tell me that that was what you were thinking about back in the car.”

A guilty look found me as I realized he had caught me. “Okay, that was not what I was thinking,” I teased slightly hoping to lighten the subject at hand.

Giving off a small but deep chuckle, Joshua shook his moppy brown haired head. “I don’t want to stop hanging out with you ... especially since I know you like me back.”

“Hey! I never said I liked you too!”

“But you were thinking it. I could tell because your face is an open book.” Joshua replied right when the food landed on our table.

Thanking Kyle once more, we began to dig into our yummy food.

As if he had stayed silent long enough, Noah removed his pacifier and started to ramble ninety to nothing in childish gibberish.