Plans For Halloween

Sapphire’s P.O.V

The second we walked into the hallway and the classroom door clicked behind us, Blake stopped walking and turned to face me. His green eyes bore into me with heavy intensity. Just looking at him, I could see he was holding it in not to start pacing back and forth while nibbling on his thumb.

It took me all of three seconds to realize I didn’t need to be here, in the hall, alone, with Blake. Pushing past him, I started to head to the library, knowing I would be able to skip the rest of class there.

“Sapphire, you have some explaining to do,” Blake hissed at me after only taking five steps away from him.

“I have nothing to explain to you,” I spat as I kept walking.

His footsteps could be heard behind me as I rounded the corner. “Yes, yes you do. Who was that guy? Why were you driving away on a motorcycle with him yesterday?! I don’t like the way he looked. I really don’t approve, you have to stop seeing him.”

I stopped walking and twisted around to face Blake. “See, that is the thing, I don’t have to stop seeing Joshua. Yeah, believe it or not he has a name.  And Blake, news flash, I am not looking for your approval.”

“Are you dating him?” Blake asked me with anger and aggravation seeping into his voice.

“Are you dating Aerie?” I inquired.

“It doesn’t matter if I am or am not. I asked you a question, I want an answer!” He argued before ruffling up his brown hair in annoyance.

“...Why can’t you say it?” I randomly asked.

Blake arched an eyebrow. “Why can’t I say what?” He innocently questioned.

My brown eyes became slits as I glared at Blake. The anger that was flowing through me was increasing a notch with every second that ticked by. "Why can't you say you like me?!” I asked in outrage that he could act so naive.

“Why should I have too?” He inquired. “And besides, you are getting off topic! Who was that guy you were dangerously riding off with yesterday?” Blake asked as his face reddened from anger.

“It is none of your business,” I bitterly stated.

Blake impatiently tapped his foot, “sometimes I can’t stand you Sapphire. You really know how to push my buttons.”

I gave a roll of my eyes, “as if you don’t do the same to me!”

Without warning Blake started to make his way towards me. I backed up and ended up backing right into the lockers that lined the hallway. Soon, he was standing right in front of me with an angry expression etched out on his face. His face dipped down and all too abruptly Blake kissed me.

I stood there, frozen, for a good minute before I involuntarily kissed him back.

My brain started to buzz as I started to compare Joshua’s kiss to Blake’s.

There were huge differences.

When I kiss Joshua it was like atomic bombs going off, our hands couldn’t roam each other fast enough.

With Blake, it was a hot feeling, one that started in your toes and within seconds the feeling reached the top of your head, sends off alarms and mix emotions.

Yet, no matter the small and huge differences between kissing the two guys, I always felt this tingle in my lower back, which would creep up and make me feel utterly blissful.

Air.  I mental thought.

Suddenly Blake and I had forgotten the concept of air. Breaking away from him, I rested my forehead on his. Our warm, irregular sounding breaths mixed.

“I miss this,” Blake murmured,

My eyes looked into his forest green orbs. “Blake, I really like you and want to be with you. If you say it maybe, just maybe, we can get back to the way we were.”

“I like you, Sapphire,” I smiled at his words. My brain kept trying to memorize how he said it, in hopes of keeping the tone and wording engraved in my memory.  “Is that what you wanted to hear?” He asked not moments later.

The smile fluttered down into a frown as I broke away from Blake. “Is that what I wanted to hear? You did not seriously ask me that?!”

Looking all guiltless, Blake shrugged his shoulders. “I’m sorry if I sounded rude, but Sapphire, you are pushing me to say something that I am not ready to say. See, I have feelings for you, and they are driven by the wild passion to kiss you and have you as only mine ... I know that all leads to me having feelings for you ... but ... but I just don’t know yet. So, will what I said satisfy you until I can decide how I feel?”

“Until you grow a brain in that empty shell of yours you call a skull, how do you see us?” I questioned.

He rubbed the back of his neck, “I see us as two people, dating, monogamous and you know doing couple stuff.”

Chuckling I shook my head, “that won’t fly with me Blake.”

“Sapphire, that is all I can offer right now!”

“Then I am sorry we are over. Go mess around with Aerie!” I yelled back at him, before walking away from him.

“She is not you Sapphire!” He called out to me.

Glancing over my shoulder at him I replied. “Blake, leave me alone, I have a boyfriend and you have a girlfriend.”

***

“Sapphire, can I ask you a question?” Carmen inquired as she sat down next to me at the lunch table.

Thinking of what Joshua said to me earlier this morning I grinned. “You already did, Silly.”

Chuckling nervously, she continued. “Hypothetically, how would you feel if ... oh, let’s say Alicia ... Yeah, Alicia ... How would you feel if she was to date Linx?”

Nearly spitting out my apple juice that I was drinking, I looked at Carmen. “Alicia?! Is dating my brother?!” I shrieked as I looked around the cafeteria for her.

Placing an arm on my shoulder, Carmen shook her head. “No, Sapphire, Alicia is not dating Linx ... I was speaking hypothetically.”

Putting my hand over my heart, I sighed in relief. “Oh jeez Louise, you almost had me there, Car.”

Her head bent down as a sad expression cascaded over her face.

“Don’t tell me ... You’re crushing on my brother!” Carmen didn’t even have to look at me as I pieced it together that she was in fact crushing on my brother. “Oh no, Carmen, no!”

“I don’t know how it happened, but I-I really like him Sapphire. He is nice-”

“He is a bully-” I added, cutting her off.

“No, he is gentle.”

“Linx is short tempered.”

Ignoring me, Carmen continued, “Your brother loves kids.”

“I don’t want to know how you know that ... but for your information, he pulled off not only my Barbie doll heads growing up, but yours too.”

“That is in the past ... Sapphire ... I really like him,” her brown eyes looked at me with a sense of pleading.

“I-I ... I am not going to help you shack up with my brother ... but if you want approval ... well damn it all, how can I say no to those eyes ... oh, wait, I can and it goes like this ‘no’.”

“Sapphire, please approve! I would not feel right dating your brother if you were not comfortable with it!” Carmen stated as she gripped my arm, as if it would help her case.

“Carmen, no, he will break your heart. My brother is ruthless, take it from me,” I told her as I took one bite of a baby carrot I had.

Releasing a sigh, Carmen let go of my arm. “I wanted you to be okay with me dating him ... but in the end ... it doesn’t matter if you do or don’t ... I am going to date him.” Carmen said in a mouse like voice. Watching Carmen I noted she was just staring at her food, which only meant one thing, she was upset.

My shoulders sagged and I sighed. “Fine, date the damn boy. But, if he breaks your heart, then I break his nose, among other things.”

A bright smile fell on Carmen’s face before she engulfed me in a hug. “Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!” She chanted.

“It's about time you accept it,” Linx said as he sat down next to Carmen.

“Accept it?” I asked, wondering if he heard in on what Carmen and I were talking about.

“Yes, I had been a few tables over waiting for my queue to come over.” Placing a small peck on Carmen’s lips he stopped talking for a second. “Now we can go on that date I promised you.”

“Wait, are you telling me that you two were together before I even approved?” I questioned.

Casting her eyes down Carmen nodded. “Yeah, but I wouldn’t go on a date with him until you are okay with it. I really didn’t want to ruin our friendship.”

“I told her it was silly to ask you,” Alicia said as she popped out from behind me.

“How long have you been standing behind me?” I inquired.

Shrugging her shoulder, Alicia sat down. “Long enough.”

I heard giggled erupt from beside me. Looking over I saw Carmen blushing and Linx whispered gosh knows what in her ear. Just then I remember I was supposed to be mad at my brother. Glaring and looking away, I landed eyes on Blake.

He was looking at me with an emotionless expression. I could tell he was saddened by something. I started to wonder if it was because of our fight. Just that mere thought my heart panged a little. Never, in a million years did I want this space and silence between us. All I ever wanted was to be next to him, and have him whisper in my ear about how I was his.

Looking away from him I wondered if he was feeling the same way. Was he in as much pain as I was? Does he even know how much I want us to work?

Nibbling more on my carrot, I couldn’t help but give a faint smile. I was a little happy because I knew that even if Blake and I would not work that there was always, Joshua and of course, Noah.

“What has you smiling like you won the lottery?” Alicia asked me.

I shook out of my thoughts and gave her an honest reply. “Joshua.”

“Oh, your mystery man!” Alicia purred.

I chuckled and nodded.

“I say we have a group date,” Linx blurted out. Everyone looked at him so he could explain what he meant. “I want to meet the guy you are dating, but I realize I am not your father Sapphire. So, let’s make this a fun meet. Alicia, I can pair you with that Johnny kid you been talking about for weeks-”

“So you do know him! You’ve been telling me for months that you didn’t know him!” Alicia half shouted.

My brother shrugged his shoulders, “I had no use to pair you two up ... until now...”

“Sounds great, but you must know that Joshua and I aren’t really dating,” I muttered.

Linx sighed, “Don’t matter Sis. He is still a guy that you choose to hang out with, I wanna meet him. Plus, it might make Alicia and Carmen stop gossiping about what he looks like in French class.”

“We do not gossip ... just discuss. Anywhoo ... Oh! We can have the group date this Friday! It’s Halloween after all, and we all know our tradition!” Carmen chirped.

“Perfect plan to start off our fall break,” Alicia exclaimed.

We all nodded in unison.

Unzipping a pocket in my backpack, I pulled out my phone.

Within seconds I was typing a text message to Joshua.

Me: Can you pick me up after school? I have some things to talk to you about.

I was slipping my phone back into my backpack, when Joshua replied.

Josh: Yeah, will do since I have some things to talk to you about too.