Chapter 2 - Conscription

Flora P.O.V

"Flora listen to me" Louis said

I had just gone blank hearing the wireless.

"Flora listen you have to take care of little Edward or Florance." Louis said with tears in his eyes.

"Louis. You cant go I mean we are just starting to have our own family." I whispered tears filling in my eyes.

We both knew Louis' letter would arrive today. It would say the date and time he would have to go to... war.

Later that day.

The post box hit the door. I stumbled over to the door. 1 letter. 1 name. Mr Tomlinson.

"Lou. Its here." I said.

Louis opened the letter.

"Dear Mr Tomlinson." Louis read out. "As you may know conscription has been announced and all men aged 18-45 must fight for Britain against Germany. You, Mr Tomlinson have until Monday the 18th of September. At Doncaster Hall at 9o'clock. Many Thanks The British Army."

"Louis that's in 2 days." I whispered.

2 days left with my Louis. Till he was off to bbasically his death.

"I wonder if Harry's been called?" Louis said.

"Louis all you can think about is Harry! We only have 2 days!" I exclaimed

"Well maybe its cos I won't be alone." Louis said "I'm scared. Its my death I'm going to and you know it."

"I know. Sorry I'm just scared for you. With you not here is just a weird thought. With you gone and with little Edward or Florence on the way. I don't think I can do it." I whispered. Tears. Now streaming down my face.

"C'mon let's wipe those tears away and let's go out and see the others. I bet your not the only one worried." Louis said.

"Ok." I said wiped the tears from my eyes. I put on my shoes. They were brown and boring. But there was nothing bright. It was 1944 and the war had been going on for years I blame Britain and France for not trying to stop the veil man they call Hitler.

We walked hand in hand down the street. The houses round here weren't well covered so during the day you could see straight into them. I could see Mrs Johnson and her 3 sons huddling in their living room. Poor her. All 3 of her sons would have to go to war. Her husband was dead as well. She would be all alone.

As carried on along the street people looked at us with pity in their eyes. Just reminders of what's going to happen.