CHAPTER 19 - Psst

"But he's a criminal," Edmund tried to argue. Peter, Susan, you and Lucy stared at him judgingly until a bird outside chirped. But you could've sworn you understood what it meant.

"Did that bird just 'psst' us?" Susan asked.

You shrugged. "I think it wants us to follow it." Peter was the first to walk to the door. The bird flew away. "Okay maybe not," you admitted. But then something moved in the bushes, making you all look in that direction warily.

And now in the opposite direction. And now directly in front. Like something was fastly moving, trying to capture your attention. Lucy took Peter's arm and Susan put a hand on Peter's shoulder. But for some reason, you didn't feel intimidated. Instead, you felt a familiar glow in your locket. When you opened it, the arrow was pointing right towards where the noise was coming from.

You bravely took a step forward. "What are you doing?" Peter whisper-shouted to you.

"Following the compass," you said firmly although you could hear your own voice waver a bit.

A beaver came out from behind the rock. "It's a beaver," Lucy commented. You could hear everyone let out a breath of relief.

Peter walked past you. "Here boy," he clicked his tongue. "Here boy."

"Peter-" you started, putting a hand on his shoulder to stop him since what he did didn't seem right to you.

"I ain't gonna smell it if that's what you want," the beaver spoke up, making everyone else take a surprised step back.

"Hello," you greeted, crouching down to talk. You put your hand out to greet the beaver. "I'm Y/n."

The beaver shook your hand, tilting his head forward. "What a pleasure to meet you, Your Highness."

Lucy giggled a bit at his admiring reaction. "Lucy Pevenise," the beaver spoke up, making her stop.

"Yes?" Lucy asked, walking beside you. The beaver handed him a handkerchief. "That's the handkerchief I gave to Mr. Tum-"

"Tumnus," the beaver finished. "He got it to me just before they took him."

"Is he alright?" you inquired.

The beaver looked around. "Further in," he finally whispered before running ahead.

You followed him without hesitation and so did Peter and Lucy but Susan stopped you. "What are you doing?" she asked.

"She's right," Edmund agreed. "How do we know we can trust him?"

"He said he knows the Faun," Peter shrugged.

"He's a beaver. He shouldn't be saying anything," Susan reasoned.

"When Fauns exist then beavers can talk," you shrugged. "Let's go."

"Is everything alright?" the beaver asked once again, coming to check on you five.

"We were just talking," you smiled before quickly catching up to him, leaving the others to catch up to you. "Um, Sir?" you drew his attention. "Why'd You call me 'Your Highness'?"