Chapter 8

2021

Months went by as if you were just scrolling through Facebook. Nothing really changed between Lea and her friends except for the bond, they became even closer. As for the residents, they are getting closer but there's still something lacking in their friendship. But that lacking is not important for now, what matters is they are surviving each day.

"Doc Lea, wala po ba talagang something sa inyo ni Doc Wacky? I mean look at the daily dose of caffeine plus bread tapos lunch dates and dinner dates."

"Lunch dates with you, guys? But to answer your question, I already told you na we're just friends. Whatever story you've been told by yours truly is all in the past. We are now old and moved on. That's all and I thank you." Lea even bowed at Gail, which made the latter laugh.

"Alam mo, napapansin ko na napapadalas ang pagtambay niyo rito. Are you guys doing your jobs well? How about your thesis? It's nearing March na let me just remind you, baka hindi kayo ma-promote to third year niyan?"

"Doc Lea, we are following your footsteps so don't worry." Wacky entered Lea's office. "And I was just leaving." Gail collected her things as fast as she can and left the room in a rush.

"Huh? What's her problem?" Wacky, who is very perplexed about Gail's reaction, asked Lea as he sat on her couch. Lea just shrugged her shoulders. "Look, it's nighttime na pala. I know how much you love stars."

Lea stopped reviewing her patient's charts from her desktop. She looked at her watch and confirmed that it was really night. "I didn't notice the time. Gosh, it's so fast." She stood up and went beside Wacky. They both stared at the stars. Its beauty is very therapeutic for them.

15 minutes passed... No one even dared to speak or spark a conversation. They just stared at the stars and embraced the tranquility it gives.

After, Wacky was the first one to go back to sitting from kneeling on the couch. "Are you hungry?" Lea hummed as a response; her eyes are still fixed on the night sky. "What do you want to eat?"

This time, she looked at Wacky. "I want Ramen."

"Great! 'Coz I am also craving for that. I'll be back!" He pats Lea's shoulder as an indication that he will already leave. Lea, on the other hand, just nodded at him then she went back to her swivel chair to finish reviewing the charts.

After some time, Wacky went back with so many paper bags in his hands. Lea's forehead creased. "Ramen ba lahat iyan, Wacky? Bakit ang dami?" She stood up and helped Wacky with the bags.

"These two are the Ramen." He carefully unpacked the food. "This one is coffee. I don't know why they put it in a paper bag. I hope it didn't spill." He removed the coffee from the paper bag. "This one is cheesecake. And the last one is my gift to you."

"Wait, what is it for?"

"That's what you get when you don't get enough rest, Lea. Let me remind you that in a few hours, you will turn 40." He told her while arranging their food.

"Really? Oh shit!" She did a facepalm. Wacky laughed at her reaction because she really has no idea at all.

"Oh, shit talaga! Come here and let's eat saka let's see kung kasya sa iyo ito."

"What did you get for me?"

"It's a bracelet from Cartier. I got this when I was in the US pa. When I saw this, I remembered you agad." He took the gold bracelet out of its box. Lea sat adjacent to him.

"Cartier... This must cost you fortunes."

"It did! But somehow, I don't feel any regret buying this at all. Wrist please." He put it on Lea's and it fits her perfectly.