Chapter 1

1997

"Shiz! I'm running late!" Lea, a 13-year-old-girl, sprinted her way to the bathroom after turning off her alarm clock which shows 4:00 am.

After doing her bathroom routine in less than an hour, she immediately hurried to her closet to choose the most appropriate attire to wear. This day is one of the most important days for her because it is her--- high school entrance exam.

Being smart is actually the biggest understatement of the year when it comes to describing her. Intelligence comes out of her naturally. She doesn't really need any extra effort to pass an exam whatsoever. Her intelligence is very comparative to our blinking eyes and beating hearts, you know, it's spontaneous.

Albeit having this gift from God, she didn't take an advantage of it or used it in the wrong way. Instead, she poured extra time to hone her knowledge. She just didn't rely on God's gift solely, but she also made her own way to make herself better. She also used this gift to help her parents by, of course, not letting them pay for her tuition fee because who the hell will pay a tuition fee if you're a consistent 1st honor right from the start, up to your graduation, right?

After triple checking her to-bring list, she quickly but carefully made her way down.

"Anak, aren't you too early? From what you've mentioned and what I've remembered, you told me na your exams start at 10 am pa. Baka antukin ka niyan mamaya?" Her mom, who woke up extra early for her, worries.

Footsteps from the stairs were heard, and a very sleepy middle-aged man appeared. "Oo nga, anak. Nakatulog ka man lang ba nang maayos or puro ka review? Anak, we are very proud of you with or without your achievements but please value your health as much as you value your acads." He stretched his arms and legs before completely sitting on his assigned seat at the dining table.

"Please don't pressure yourself, anak. Kahit na isa ka lang namin na anak, ayaw ka naming nahihirapan." Her mother told her while preparing for their breakfast.

"Mommy and daddy, please don't worry about me because I am happy with what I am doing. To be honest, I am not doing all of these just to make you both proud, but I am also doing these to make myself happy. Okay po ba iyon? Now, when it comes to my gising, I woke up earlier than it should be because I wanted to read some notes pa. I already told you naman po na that's my dream school for my HS life and the entrance exam there is really difficult, so I need to pour in extra efforts to pass." Her parents both nodded and she was also relieved.

"Okay, fine. So, what time are you leaving talaga?"

"7:30 or 8:00, call time is 8:45 e."

"That means I can still sleep more?" Lea nodded at her father while giggling. She knows how exhausted her father is but he's not minding it at all just to be in her service. After their conversation, her father hurriedly went up to take some more sleep.

"Ma, ikaw po ba?"

"I am not sleepy at all. Saka i-bbraid ko pa iyang buhok mo kapag natuyo para hindi sagabal mamaya." She answered while carefully putting some pancakes on Lea's plate.

"Sure?"

"Sure na sure!" They both chuckled. "Anak, curious nga lang pala ako sa isang bagay." Lea hummed as a response. "Bakit inuna mo ang paliligo kaysa pagrereview? Ayaw mo ba na mas mukha kang fresh mamaya?"

"Feel ko po kasi na mawawala yung mga inaral ko kapag naligo ako after ko magbasa." She grinned at her mother after stocking her mouth with a spoonful of pancake.

-------------

Several students from different schools came together to prove their brains and try their luck at a very prestigious and very known academy, Magnus International School. They all lined up at the registration area as the first step for that day.