•Chapter Nineteen• Welcome Surprise

Marcus

"Hello your highness," I greeted the king from the landline in my office at the packhouse where all official pack duties are performed. "I am calling, per your request." Leaning back in the plush leather chair, I wait for him to speak, a soft smile on my lips as I think about my mate and my unborn pup. I know mom would be walking on clouds when she finds out.

"Ah, Prince Marcus," King Gerald greets warmly, though there was a hint of worry in his tone. It was odd being greeted thus but since Aubrielle had been named heir to the throne, being her mate meant I would be the next king. It's going to take some getting used to the idea though.

"Thank you for calling me back. I just wanted to let you know that I, along with all of our council members, will be coming for a visit in a few days. We will be needing accommodations if you would be gracious enough to see to it, we would appreciate it."

This surprised me but it also had me curious. The council did not just 'visit', they only did so when it was necessary. "May I ask to what do we owe this visit?" I asked politely. "Not that we won't be happy to see you all, but I know the council doesn't just visit for pleasantries."

The King chuckled softly at my explanation. "You are as sharp as your father, and you're right, we are visiting to discuss serious matters. Since you and Aubrielle are next in line for the throne, we felt you should be made aware of a growing threat to the supernatural realm." I instantly felt myself become tense at his words and sat forward, bracing my forearms on the desk.

"Growing threat?" I questioned softly, cocking one of my brows.

"Yes, and given the information we now have, I think it's only fair I advise you to strengthen all security measures on your pack's grounds. Rogues have been spotted near Royal Sweet Springs territory-" A half snarl, half growl pushed past my lips at this announcement. Though I knew there were two types of rogues, I also knew the council wouldn't meet to discuss normies.

"None of us are happy about it either," The king assured me calmly. "Which is why we need to gather in a place that can accommodate a large gathering outside of our capital. The sooner we do it, the better. We need to ensure the safety of the future king and queen of werewolves."

"How soon can we have this meeting?" I asked quickly. "Is tomorrow too much to hope for?"

"Well, it's not impossible," The king replied, there was a bit of surprise in his voice. "Though it would mean we would need to move before nightfall. May I ask why you want us to move so quickly?"

"I need to know just what we are up against, especially now. If things are as dire as to warrant the council to hold a meeting, then I may need to call in allies to help protect our borders. There are many lives I have to protect now. My pack, my family, my mate, and above all, my unborn pup!"

"Are you saying the Princess is pregnant?!" The king asked. He sounded surprised but also happy and excited.

"Yes," I simply answered. My wolf soul projected an image of a male wolf strutting with his chest puffed out, head high, and tail wagging.

"That's wonderful news!" The king all but shouts. "Congratulations. This changes things. I will ask the council to arrive no later than tomorrow morning. Can you ensure we have adequate accommodations waiting? Also, I think it prudent if you begin calling on allies. Better safe than sorry."

"Alright, I will get on both as soon as we hang up," I assure him. Moments later I hang up and mind-link Jacob to have a few maids prepare the guest house for our guests.

As a royal pack, we had to ensure we always had rooms available for visiting dignitaries and times like this, in which the council will gather for an important meeting outside our capital. Though our capital was just three hours away, our Royals lived here. Once this pack was established, two packhouses were built, one for the use of pack members who wanted to reside there, the other for pack or council meetings and to house important guests.