•Chapter Twelve• Uncertain Future

Silvia

I woke up in a strange room to find my mate nowhere in sight and my daughters, as well as Rebecca, quietly chatting from somewhere on the floor near the bed I was occupying. Sitting up, I caught sight of them and Rebecca jumped to her feet upon seeing I was awake. "How are you feeling?" She asked me as she, and my daughters rushed to my side.

"I'm fine," I assure her. "Where's Matt?" I ask them.

"Dad's in the Alpha's office with the beta, and our mates," Selene answers. "Dad is trying to find out as much as he can about this pack so he knows what needs to be done going forward." Lifting my eyebrows in surprise at this news, I start to wonder why Mathew felt it necessary to know about this pack.

"The Elders appointed him acting Alpha until Aubrielle can take over," Starla informs me and I chuckle imagining my mate's reaction to being made acting Alpha. That would explain why our mates had gathered in the Alpha office.

"I'm sure he was ecstatic," I joke, and the girls all laugh.

"All jokes aside," I look at each of them as I ask what was uppermost on my mind. "How's Aubrielle? I remember a lot of what took place but it was shrouded in a kind of fog."

I could see their eyes become misty and I knew they were fighting back tears. "She looks horrible mom," Rebecca informs me.

Rebecca has been a member of my pack since she was twelve years old. Her mother died when she was four, then her father died when she was twelve and she was sent to her uncle, who was one of our previous trainers. I felt a kinship with her since I lost my parents at a young age. We got close early on and she has called me mom since I learned she was Christian's mate.

"Her eyes and cheeks are sunken in," Rebecca says before she covers her mouth to hold in a sob. Starla and Selene nodded, blinking rapidly to hold back the tears that were fighting to escape. "Oh mom, she went through so much!" Selene moaned softly.

Holding out my arms to my girls, they all climbed onto the bed and I held them in my arms as we all softly cried for the hell our sweet Aubrielle had to live through. Long minutes later, we separated and took turns entering the ensuite bathroom to blow our noses and wash our faces.

"Has there been any word on her condition?" I asked the room in general once we had all freshened up.

"We have been here since dad brought you up about an hour ago," Starla informed me. "So we're not aware if there has been any word as of yet." Before I can comment on that, there was a knock on the door before it was thrown open, and Marcus came barreling in. Behind him, I caught sight of Cain and Gabriel standing out in the hall.

"Momma!" Marcus cried out, running at me with River rolling his eyes and Rio shaking his head, as they followed their little brother in.

"I told you mom was resting squirt, you didn't need to rush in yelling," River scolded with exasperation.

"It's ok honey," I assured River with a smile. Bending down I swung Marcus up into my arms. "What's wrong baby?" I asked Marcus.

"I wanna go see Bree but River and Rio keep saying I can't!" Marcus whined with a pout, tears flooding his big emerald-colored eyes.

"We all want to see her too bud," Rio spoke up. "But we wanted to wait until mom was rested."

"Can we go see Bree momma?" Marcus asked with the puppy-dog eyes that always worked.

Dropping a soft kiss on his forehead, I smiled down at him. "Ok, let's go see her," I agreed as I set him on the floor.

"Yipee!" Marcus shouted before he grabbed my hand and began urging me forward.