•Chapter Thirteen• In Darkness

Aubrielle

I'm not sure quite when I realized that something was wrong but I did come to that conclusion at some point. Maybe it was when I kept hearing people talking to me but I couldn't reply to them. Or maybe it was because all I saw around me all the time was darkness. Was I struck blind and mute, I constantly wondered.

"Come on honey," My mother's worried voice urged. "We need you to wake up now, ok?" I felt her soft hand gently rubbing the back of mine.

Wake up? Was I sleeping then? Is this a dream? I didn't think so but still, I struggled to wake up. Absolutely nothing was happening so I began to doubt I was sleeping. But if I wasn't sleeping, then why was mom urging me to wake up? I just couldn't make sense of anything and I was becoming frustrated. I began to wonder what was wrong with me.

"It doesn't look like she's ready to come around," A voice I didn't recognize said. "All we can do now is wait and see what happens."

"Alright, doctor Waters," My mother replies. Doctor Waters, who is he? I couldn't remember any doctor I had ever met by that name.

"I'll come back to see her tomorrow. But if there is any change in her condition, you can have the nurse on duty page me." The doctor instructs. Nurse on duty? So then I must be in a hospital, but why? What happened to me that required me to be in a hospital?

"I will. Thank you, doctor," Mom said.

I heard footsteps begin to retreat, then suddenly come to a stop. "Oh, I thought you should know that you no longer work for Lupus Valley memorial," The man informed mom.

"They fired me?" Mom asked, her tone sad.

"No, no," The doctor assured mom. "The Federation pulled some strings and had you transferred here. So as of tomorrow, you will continue your residency here." I heard a soft gasp which I assumed came from mom.

"What's more, there is a vacant small two-bedroom house half a block from the hospital that our acting Alpha has informed the beta that it is given to no one other than you as your new residence since you plan to become part of this pack," I then heard a sob that I knew came from mom.

"I wanted to ask if you would be opposed to beginning work as soon as tomorrow, or if you will need more time?" The doctor asked with what sounded to me like a hopeful tone.

"I'll be here!" Mom exclaimed in a choked but happy voice.

"Great," The doctor said with relief. "We are severely short-staffed and could use an extra pair of hands. Welcome aboard!" The sound of footsteps retreating informed me the doctor had left.

"Isn't that great honey?" Mom asked. "Now I can stay here and not worry about losing my job! Thank the goddess as well as Silvia and Elder Mathew, I'm sure they had a hand in getting me the transfer."

I heard the sound of dialing and I realized mom was placing a call. "I have to call Luna Adina to let her know what's going on." Footsteps walking away reached me and I realized mom was leaving the room. The sound of the tv and a constant beeping sound filled my range of hearing but then it too faded away into complete silence.

Moments later I was surrounded by darkness but I wasn't scared or worried. I felt calm and at ease, even comforted. I felt an aura of protection surrounding me, it was soothing and loving. It was the kind of feeling you get when you come home after a long period of being away. It was an incredible feeling and I liked it here very much.

"Aubrielle?" A soft harmonious voice called my name. It was somewhat familiar to me but I couldn't place where I knew it from. "Come now, open your eyes child. I know you can hear me. You and I need to talk and now is the time." The voice was insistent and I found myself opening my eyes against my will.