1.29

Season 3, Episode 15-17

Walk on Water

Drowning on Dry Land

&

Some Kind of Miracle

•••

The interns were in the pit with Bailey learning triage. Izzie was up first, assessing the patient, played by Dr. Harmon, which none of them were happy about.

"A lot of arm swelling, but good distal pulses so we can rule out compartment syndrome," Izzie observed, looking over at Bailey. "I suspect a radius fracture so I'd splint and get an ortho follow-up."

"Anything else?" Bailey questioned.

Izzie hesitated. "No," she said decidedly and Laura winced, knowing that wasn't right.

"Okay," Bailey made a few notes. "Then I guess this means..."

Callie pressed the stop button. "Time."

"And I'm dead!" Sydney sat up.

"Dead?" Izzie questioned.

Instead of answering, Sydney pretended to start seizing and Bailey said: "You sent her home. The bone punctured through her skin."

"Yeah, but she had multiple wounds and abrasions--" Izzie argued.

"Can anybody tell me what Dr. Stevens missed?" Sydney asked, sitting up again.

Laura instantly spoke up. "A puncture over a break is an open fracture until proven otherwise." She ignored the small glare Izzie sent her way, pleased with herself. While the other interns thought the exercise was boring and pointless, Laura saw it as a competition. And if there was a competition, then she wanted to win.

"Yeah," Sydney confirmed, looking back at Izzie. "I got septic and I died at home, thanks to you."

Izzie scoffed and rolled her eyes. "Oh, whatever."

"Not 'whatever' to dead 'minor puncture wound that's not' guy."

"You have to be quick and thorough while using your instincts," Bailey lectured all of them. "You can't be fooled by what your eyes see. If you assess wrong, your patient could die while waiting for treatment. Karev, you're next." 

He sighed and stepped forwards. Izzie switched places with him and said: "I already killed her. You can't do more damage than that."

"People," Bailey cut in. "Triage is one of the most important tools a doctor has. In a real emergent scenario, you'll only have minutes--"

"And it's something you'll be tested on in your surgicals," Callie added, but stopped when a flash went off.

George had taken a picture of his wife, causing them all to look at him. "Sorry."