1.6

Season 1, Episode 9

Who's Zoomin Who

•••

Laura simply wanted to get a granola bar from the locker room, having already been at work for a while and needing something to keep her going 'till lunch. Entering the room though, she saw a lot more than she'd ever hoped for.

"Oh, my God!" she screeched and shut her eyes, but the image of George with his pants down and Alex leaning down to look, would undoubtedly haunt her nightmares.

"Laura!" George yelped and pulled his pants back up.

"What the hell are you doing?!"

"George has a rash on his junk," Alex replied casually. "Georgie, pull 'em down again, I didn't get a proper look."

George sighed frustratedly, but did as told, and Alex and Laura looked. When they saw the rash, both of them frowned, understanding what it was.

"So?" George asked as they stood up.

"Dude, you've got syphilis," Alex patted him on the shoulder and walked out.

"Sorry, buddy," Laura grimaced, before she left too.

•••

Laura was in surgery with the chief, Bailey and Meredith. 

"There's too much damage," Dr. Webber observed. "We'll have to remove most of them colon instead of a local resection." 

While doing a suture, he dropped the string and groaned slightly. "You gotta push it up," he instructed Bailey. Trying again, he kept struggling. "More suture. And what's with these damn lights in here?"

Meredith adjusted the lights so they wouldn't be as bright and the surgery continued.

But Lauras eyes stayed on the chief for a few moments, brows furrowed a bit, before she focused on the open stomach again.

"Retract here," Webber instructed.

"This just isn't holding," Bailey observed.

"Give me a bigger retractor, please," he told BokHee, but when the scrub nurse handed it to him, he dropped it.

When it clattered to the floor, she said, "Sorry, Doctor."

"It wasn't you." Webber closed his eyes again and sighed. "Dr. Bailey, you can finish this."

She looked at him in surprise. "Uh, thank you, Chief. I appreciate the opportunity."

Laura watched the chief as he took off the surgical gown and left. She turned her head slightly and shared a look with Dr. Shepherd on the observation deck. Something was wrong.

•••

Laura was with Cristina and Izzie at the lunch table when Alex and George joined them.