1.22

Season 3, Episode 7

Where The Boys Are

•••

Laura pulled up next to Joes bar on her way to work that morning and tuned to Alex. "Have everything you need?"

He was going camping with some of the other guys from the hospital and Joe and Walter.

"Think so," he nodded and got out out of the car. 

Laura looked back at Jack, who was in the backseat, and raised her eyebrows, silently asking the same question. He gave her a nod and exited the car as well. She got out too and helped them get everything from the trunk.

"Alright," she said when they had their bags and was ready to go. "Have fun."

"Thank you," Jack gave her a quick, one-armed hug, ruffled her hair slightly, and walked into the bar where they were meeting everyone.

"Be nice," Laura looked pointedly at Alex.

"Yeah, yeah," he grumbled, but gave her a short hug. "See ya."

"Bye," she waved as he went inside the bar to meet the others. She sighed as she began driving again. 

The past week hadn't been easy. Luke had left and they were both trying to get in at least one phone call a day, but with her schedule it wasn't always so easy and she missed him. Phone calls just weren't the same as getting to see him, and touch him, and just be around him. She really missed him.

•••

"Derek's camping. Taking time. Getting space," Meredith said as the four female interns - also the only ones there - stood looking at the OR board. 

"Prestons do not go into the woods," Cristina stated, not understanding how Burke of all people would go camping out in nature.

"Neither do Alex's," Laura sighed. "I don't think he's ever even been camping before. He had to borrow things from Jack."

She hummed. "Either way, a guy named Preston is gonna get his ass kicked by a squirrel."

"Basically a slumber party," Izzie noted. "They do it outside. We do it inside. That's really the only difference."

"You seen what's his face?" Marks Sloan asked, stopping in front of the group.

"Alex Karev," Izzie corrected.

He ignored her. "Poor bastard seems to get a thrill out of tagging along after me," he laughed.

"Yeah, that's why he keeps ditching you for the vagina squad," Laura commented sarcastically before her eyes widened when she realized what she'd just said to an attending. Mark however, didn't seem offended and just raised his eyebrows at her with an amused glint in his blue eyes.