Chapter 17

"Will you go to the Cinema with me, in Charlotte ville?" He batters his eyes at me. I get up and go round the tree. Tracing my soft fingers onto the roof bark.
"What will we go and see?"
"Well, anything you want. My treat." He gives a beaming smile.
"Just us?"
"Of course just us." He gets up and gives a chuckle. "Who else would we be with?"
"I don't know." I grab my shoes and run up higher up the hill I go.
"Carrie!" I heard Danny shout to me.
I breathed in the fresh air as I hear Danny's footsteps pace up to me.
"Why did you-"
"When I am older I want to travel the world. See places, Go places. You know?"
"How much older?"
"I don't know. Erm... at the end of term when summer holidays come in. I would love it."
"But what about family?" He wraps his hand round mine.
"What about it? I am coming back." I sit down and place my heels on. "I better get back." I get up after and smile at Danny.
"Well I will join the party." He places his hand under mine, twinning our fingers like crab-apple branches being put together. I have never felt like this before, he looks into my eyes with such kindness.

We walk down the mountain, hand in hand. We don't say anything to each other, just our hands stay together like they need to. He gives me a smile as he helps me down, but no talking. I don't know what had happened to Danny today. He just...well looks like that he likes me differently, I suspect.

"Carrie!" I see my brother Scott running down the road. Danny's finger leave mine by the sound of my brother shouting.
"Where have you been? It's our sixteenth and you run out of there?"
"I didn't like it. It was so boring."
"Well you could of stayed at least a hour and have given a accuse to get out of there! Mum is so angry that you walked out without a word to anyone." He sighs and I could tell that he has somehow grown up over night. Looking for me, like a responsible brother. Yesterday, he would be sat at home or would be doing his own thing.

He eyes scale at me to Danny then back to me. He raises his left eyebrow and then walks past us with his hands in his jacket pocket.
"I am sorry about Scott."
"Don't be. It's 1969, it has to get worse doesn't it?" I nod....

The next day, I get dressed quickly at five o'clock as Danny was taking me out. I curled my hair with Katie's tongs and put on my black dress on with white collar and white hem around the dress. I place some makeup on, add lip gloss and brush my hair.
"Carrie! Danny is here!" shouts Katie who rushes into the room, she raises a eyebrow and gives me a cheerful supportting smile before rushing back downstairs. I get my heels on, and walk down the stairs. Mom and Dad where sat with Danny on the sofa talking.

"My...my. Carrie, your..." Dad all could say. He comes up to me and kisses my cheek.
"I think your Dad is trying to say you look beautiful." says Mom who squeezes my hand tightly.
"Thanks." I step forward to Danny who was in a suit but no tie this time.
"Hi." He says looking at me.
"Take her straight home after the movie." says Mom.
"Take care of her." says Dad. I roll my eyes and walk outside with Danny behind me....

In the car, it became quiet. Danny is driving the Baldwin Ladies car, this is quiet old with a few scratches on it. It smells of faint whiskey and cinnamon. Outside the sun was just about going over the horizon, a little dim of yellow light helped us to see where we were going.

"So what movie?" asks Danny who stopped the car in Charlotte's ville. He gets out and goes round the side to open the car door. Not many people do that now, like my Dad says. I think he must of got this from his Dad with this gentleman stuff.
"Well I don't know. You can pick, as your paying." He nods in agreement as he pays tickets to see 'The Sound of Music' which came out a few years ago.
"I thought this, as it is a great movie." He whispers into my ear. A flutter of butterflies enter my stomach. We walk in as they were playing a advert, Danny is behind me. Following me to a random seat that I picked out.

As we get through the movie, I felt my cheeks get redder by the minute. I am glad that it is dark as no one would see how embarrassed I am.

As it got to the 'I am Sixteen going on Seventeen' song. I could feel Danny's arm going round me. I feel his warm arm on my neck. I lean back, resting onto it.
"You alright?" Danny asked me. I nodded at him, still staring at the screen....

Afterwards he holds out the door for me. I get in, he gets in the other side and we ride home...