Chapter 6

"My Husband was a kind man. He said that he would have the house on the mountain done before all are children grew up but..." Grandma cries.

"My father, was a loving father. He would never be angry with us, only if we did something really wrong." says Aunt Erin.

"John Walton was a true friend. He never was against us. In the times that people were against us coloured people. But John wasn't. When my late husband was in prison, John help us get him out...." Verde cries too......

The next day, everyone was still very quiet. I get a bath and when I am change drying my hair with a towel.

I go down stairs to find Daniel sat at the table with Katie. They are talking.

"Hi Carrie." He says. I nod covering my face with the towel. I rush outside to find Aunt Elizabeth with baby Andrew on the porch.

"What you up to?" She asks patting a seat next to me. I sit down and sigh.

"Have you ever liked someone so much that it's embrassing to be near them?" I quickly say.

"Yes, Uncle Drew for that matter. Well actually Drew liked me but I liked another boy."

"Really?"

"Yes." She says. "So is it Daniel?"

I nod covering my face with the towel......

I walk out off the porch, saying Goodbye to Aunt Elizabeth and baby Andrew. I walk up the mountain. The mountain air flushes my face, blowing my hair back.

"Hi Grandfather." I say to my Grandfather's grave. "I have a problem...."

"I am-"

"Your what?" I turn round to see Grandma walking up. She sits down next to me. Placing the flowers down next to her.

"It's nothing." I say quickly. "Do you want me to help with the flowers?" I ask picking up some purple pansies in a little pot.

"Yes, Carrie." She says smiling.......

When we get home, the family are all inside, I can hear glasses clinking together and Uncle Jason playing the piano.

"I wonder what's happening?" says Grandma walking inside. As we get inside, I look to see My Aunts and Uncles singing along. Mr Longworth dancing funny and Lottie who is smiling.

Grandma doesn't look impressed. She marches over, taking Mr Longworth and smacking his face.

"How dare you bring alcohol into this house! You should be ashamed of yourself! Childern are here."

"Ma, it isn't alcohol. It's lemonade." says Aunt Erin grabbing Grandma's hand.

"Then why you singing in the early afternoon?"

"Ashley and Erin are engaged Ma." says Aunt Mary-Ellen walking over......