Chapter 12

(Please note, I have never read any of Earl Hamner's books. Even though I really want to.)

"Hello?" Aunt Erin says again.
"We are up here." says Susan.
"You idiot." says Danny who walks out of the room and bumps into Aunt Erin.
"What is Katie and Peter doing in the same bed?" Aunt Erin looks horrified.
"They are a bit...tipsy?" I say.
"What do you mean tipsy?" says Mr Longworth who walks through the door. Danny is behind him, who looks worried.
"They had some jars of the recipe."Susan bursts out.
"It wasn't any of our fault." I say.
"Then who's was it?" asks Mr Longworth who is getting angry now.
"Theirs." I say. "Danny told them not to. But they didn't listen."
"Where's Amanda?" asks Aunt Erin who is looking around.
"Erm..." says Susan.
"Susan where is your sister?" asks Mr Longworth who goes up to Susan and places his hand onto Susan's shoulder. "Where's Amanda?"
"We don't know. She wasn't here when we heard a smash and raced into the room." says Danny.
"Right Erin. You stay here with Susan and Carrie. Danny and I will go find her and go and get help." Aunt Erin nods and we looked shocked and keep quiet as they walk out of the room. A few seconds later we hear them walk out of the door and the car engine turns on.
"Susan go get some wet cloths here please." says Aunt Erin to Susan. Susan nods and rushes out of the room.
"What should I do?"
"Just stay here." She sounds very angry as she says that....

Mum,Patsy, Loretta, Aunt Mary-Ellen, Aunt Cindy, Aunt Toni and Grandma cane round when they found out. Aunt Mary-Ellen when to check on Peter and Katie while we all waited in the 'Party' room. Grandma felt very uncomfortable sat there waiting.
"How could you let this happen?" Mum said to me.
"I didn't do anything wrong!" I say crossly. "Peter and Katie are nearly twenty!"
"But Amanda isn't. She is just seventeen." says Aunt Erin who isn't blaming Susan at all. Patsy and Loretta were very sad at the minute. Patsy biting her nails and Loretta who couldn't stop moving.
"Loretta? Do you have your guitar with you?" asks Aunt Toni.
Loretta nods and goes to get it. She comes back and smiles.
"What song?"
"Well who knows edelweiss? From the Sound of Music?"
"Are you too in love with that film?" asks Susan who sighs.
"That's a lovely song." says Aunt Cindy.
'Edelweiss, Edelweiss...'

I walked outside, I don't see why my Mum would blame me! Me?. I sigh and look at the fresh roses planted outside. I touch one water-roses, pricking my finger.
"Ouch." I whisper.
"You okay Carrie?" I look up to see Danny walking up to me.
"Yeah...well I pricked my finger."
"Give it here." I place my finger out and he gets a hankie out of his pocket and places it onto my hand.
"I don't see many people with hankies these days."
"My Dad likes to be old fashioned, you see." I nod understanding. I look up and Danny smiles.
"Why are smiling?"
"I am glad your here."
"Why?"
"Cause...I need someone to get me out of trouble."
"Have you found Amanda?"
"Nope. She isn't anywhere." He sighs. "Come on let's go."
"Okay." We head back inside and I lean onto the wall and sigh.
"What's wrong?" asks Danny walking next to me.
"Erm...I don't want to get blamed."
"Come on. We will both get blamed." He says holding out his hand. I take it. 'Clan' the wall starts to move and it opens.
"A secret room?"
"Oh Dad told me about it." says Danny looking in.
"Burp!" We hear. What's that?
"What's that?" I ask as I try to find the light. Danny finds it, it shines so bright.

A few cobwebs were about. The recipe machine as my Dad described it to me is sat with a small stone wall round it. A small red sofa was there too, on it was Amanda.

"Amanda!" I say rushing over to her. I take the jar out of her hand and place it on the floor.
"Go get the others." I tell Danny. I place Amanda up right, but a sudden gush. Amanda throws up right in front of me! But most of her sick went onto the floor.
"Amanda!" Aunt Erin says walking over.
"John-Boy, Jason. Pick her up and sent her up to her room now." Aunt Mary-Ellen says. My Dad and Uncle Jason did as they were told, picking up Amanda and Aunt Erin and Aunt Mary-Ellen followed closely behind.
"Come on let's get you cleaned up." Aunt Cindy said placing her hands onto my shoulders.
We walk out and Aunt Elizabeth follows giving her baby to Aunt Toni. I walk into the back room, guided by Aunt Cindy.
"Go get one of Amanda's or Susan's jeans and a t-shirt please." Aunt Elizabeth nods going as fast as she could.
"Weldone for finding her." says Aunt Cindy. "I never knew there was a secret room here."
"Nor did I." said Aunt Elizabeth who had a some blue jeans and a white top.
I get changed and Aunt Cindy washes my dress in the sink for me. I thank her kindly and she pats my shoulder while we wait to hear news....

I wake up in one of the spare rooms. It's so glamorous here.

White walls, that have red roses on the wall paper. Long red curtains that match the red curtains in the 'party' drape longingly to the floor. Big arched windows look out to the garden of the Baldwin House.
'Knock Knock' I hear at the door and walk over and turn it to find Danny standing there.
"Hi." He says. I slumber back onto the bed, waving my hand back at him.
"Well Good Morning to you then."
"I'm sorry...It's just...I know when I see my parents. I won't be allowed to go out of the house or do anything until I am eighteen.
"That's only two years isn't it?"
"Three." I correct him. "Where are my parents?"
"At your house. You fell asleep way to early so your Dad carried you up to this room and left you here for the night."
I sigh as I know there is anger at home waiting for me.
"I won't be able to explore this land that has my name on it." I sigh as I walk over to the window.
"Or you can?" I look back at Danny who has his eyebrows raised at me.
"What you thinking?" I ask looking at me.
"So. Let's go and explore." He grabs my hand and takes me down the rich steps. Dan grabs some hot muffins that were on the coffee table.
"Where we going?" He grabs my hand again and we walk out of house....

We rush up to the mountain, a scheme of colours from green to gold, are on the ground. Blue to white are on the sky. A fade of breeze gently blows my face.
"Here you go. Breakfast is served." He passes me a hot muffin from his pocket.
"So what are we going to do?"
"Well I would like to find that cave that your Father wrote in his book about." Danny says.
"You read his book?"
"Yes very detailed on what's on the mountain. We could probably find it, if I remember back to that chapter." says Danny who bites into his Muffin.
"How old are you Danny?" I ask him as we get up to go find the cave.
"I'm nineteen."
"Really you seemed..."
"Younger?"
"Yes, younger." We climb the rocks and find a stone fire place.
"Dad told me about this." I say tracing the letters of the names that are on the fire place.

"Since Dad's book got popular. People came here to write names of them and their lover on the fire place."
"I know. I came here and watch my Dad do it a few weeks ago." He smiles. "Come on, we better go to the cave or explore."......

As the sky got more blue and our somatchs growled in hunger. We headed back down the mountain, back down to the bottom. I sigh as I release that I have to go home.
"I will walk you home." says Danny smiling. A car came down the road, looking like a Uncle Jason's car. It's stops and Uncle Jason's head pops out of the window.
"Your Mother is angry about you."
"You going to your house then?" He nods.
"So only you and Katie, Clay, and well John-Curtis came home." says Uncle Jason.
"Really?" He nods again and drives off.

When I get home, John-Curtis is sat on the sofa with his Mother. Aunt Mary-Ellen couldn't stop hugging her son.
"How was it to see your father?"
"He was well...Curt." says John-Curtis. I walk through the door but Danny stops me.
"Wait...I will meet you tonight?" I nod and walk in.....