Chapter 16

'What I have learned, that everyday is a new thing. A chance to start again.' -John Sr (The Legend-S01 E10)

It is my birthday, everyone was busy except me. I was sat on the floor looking through a photo album where Grandma kept on Grandfather's desk. I flicked through the pages to see my father and his brother and sisters smiling in a picture. Grandfather was there too, and Grandma, with a old looking women on a pony cart.
"Dad?" I say looking up, he looks at me and sits down and smiles.
"I remember this picture been taken." He swallows which moves over showing apple on his neck. He eyes glands at the picture and then at me.
"Who's this?" I say pointing to the old looking women on the pony cart.
"That's Martha Corinne Walton. She died when I was about nineteen when she came to live with us. She is your Great Grandpa's sister in law."
"What happened to her?"
"She died in a patch of wild flowers about a week after she came to visit us." He swallows again.
"Was she strict?"
"No she was just a proud women. Like things to be kept the same." He smiles at me...

The party goes well at the town hall. Apple sauce cake was on the table with types of sandwiches from smoked salmon to turkey sandwiches. Scott was in the corner chatting up Rose who didn't seem interested. She sipped her punch and rolled her eyes round the room.

I feel sorry for my brother, back in the city he could get any girl but here not one even looked at him twice. Rose stared up at the ceiling, nod at what ever Scott was saying....

That afternoon, I seek off out of the party. Bored as ever, no entertainment was on. Corabeth just wanted all of us to talk. I do like to talk but gets boring after a while. I walk up the path way to a reach a way to the mountain. I take my heels off and breath in a breath of mountain air. The smell of Crab-apple juice breathed into my nose, and the golden honey smell touch my bottom lip.

I walk up the path, minding my feet from nettles and walk up the mountain.
"Hey." I looked up to see Danny sat under a tree. He is in a black suit like he was going to a funeral.
"Hi." I say walking up to him. "You Dad is at the Party."
"I know." He nods. "Happy birthday."
"Thanks."
"I thought you would be at the party?"
"Got bored of just standing there." I place my shoes onto the ground and sit next to him.
"I was supposed to be there."
"Why weren't you?"
"I have been to too many party to last me a life time."
"Then why the suit on?"
"I wanted to meet you...." He says looking down at himself like he was shy...