Chapter 11

I walked over to Scott who sat on the old tire swing that is hung by a tree. He is engraving something into the dirt that I can't read. The moon light had just come in, twinkling in the corner of my eye.
"Scott. Do you like it here?" I hear him sigh and he looks at me and sighs again.
"I like it here but..." He sighs again looking at the ground. "But...I don't know. I just really liked it back home."
"You have to accept Mother and Father's decision."
"I guess."
"Hey, there is Rose who you can see here." He picks his head up in a flash giving me a big grin. "Thanks Carrie." He gets up walking into the house while I sigh and tutter. 'That's my brother for you. Full of surprises.'
"Come on Carrie! There is Chocolate cake!" shouts Mum to me at the porch.
"Coming!" ...

I wake up on the sofa as I shot-gunned (as the English say) last night. Amanda is tapping me, I rub my eyes to see all the family up. Amanda and Susan dressed with coats on even though it was nearly spring. Peter with his gery cap on.
"Where you going?"
"Back home."
"Are you really?" I ask getting up.
"Yes." Susan says. "Well, we're moving into the Baldwin house."
"That because Mr Longworth?" I ask looking at Aunt Erin. She nods.
"Come on Children. We need pack up our things and then unpack them into the Baldwin house." She grabs her bags and holds the door open for her children.....

They said bye about a hour ago. I was sat on the sofa reading my Dad's book. I like it, it's really interesting to know what my father's life is like in the 1930's.

I sigh and put it onto the coffee table and look at Grandma. She is cooking, trying to concentrate on what she was doing.

"Grandma?" She looks up and looks at me smiling.
"Yes Carrie?"
"Are you alright?"
"I am fine. I just need some sugar from the mercantile. Would you mind-"
"That's fine." I say getting my coat and putting it on.
"Here's the money." Grandma says passing it into my hand. I smile and give her a hug. I felt the lovealble-warmth onto me as she stretches her arms round me.
"I love you Grandma." I say sighing. I felt her kiss the top of my head and squeezes me tight.
"I love you too." She says smiling at me. I walk out to find Aunt Elizabeth on the porch, she is playing with Andrew.
"Aunt Elizabeth? Are you busy?"
"No why?" She puts baby Andrew into her her arms and gets up looking at me.
"Can you come with me to Ike's? Grandma needs some sugar." I lie looking up at her.
"It doesn't take two to get sugar. Three if you count Baby Andrew." She gives me a smile. "You need a girl to girl talk down you?"
I nod looking at the ground.
"Why don't you ask Katie or your Mother?"
"There busy."
She nods placing Baby Andrew into his pram and he falls straight to sleep.
"Come on then." We walk down the path to see Dad, Uncle Ben , Uncle Drew and Uncle Jason watching us.
"Where you going?" shouts Uncle Drew.
"For a walk! Be back in a while." Aunt Elizabeth shouts back smiling.
"So what's troubling you?"
"You know when you and Uncle Drew met? What was it like?"
"Ahh....boy trouble?" I nod.
"Well...I liked Drew's friend. So I didn't notice him until he asked me to the dance."
"I know that."
"It felt comfortable."
"Comfortable?"
"Yes." She nods and gives a chuckle......

I walk over to the Baldwin house with Katie the next morning. Like in my father's book, he describes about the rose bushes outside the house. Which are still there.
Katie knocks on the door, it opens to see Daniel stood there.
"Is Amanda and Susan in?"
"Yes, upstairs with Erin and Corabeth. I will show you." He let's us in, I feel like a jelly as he brushes himself past me to close the door. We walk past the living room next to the stairs to find a big painting of two old ladies and a big dog with orange-golden long hair.
"Who's that?" asks Katie.
"That's the Baldwin Ladies and their dog." Daniel says still walking up the stairs.
"What's their dog's name?" I ask as my voice shakes.
"Dickie as my Dad told me."
I nod as we walk into the first room on the right. Corabeth was stood with Aunt Erin looking at pinks materials and fabrics.
"Hello Carrie and Katie." says Aunt Erin. "How's my Ma?"
"Fine, I guess."
"If Olivia needs any advice please tell me. I remember when Mr Godsey died... I had to keep myself busy to keep myself going."
"I will tell Grandma that." says Katie. "We were wondering if Amanda and Susan would go to up to the mountain?"
"To see Granddad and to find some beautiful flowers."
"There in the bathroom. I think they will be glad to get out of this." Aunt Erin says....

We head down the stairs, us four girls.
"Have a good time." says Mr Longworth.
"Could me and Peter go?" asks Daniel looking at his father with pleading eyes.
"Yes you can go but be back for supper time." Aunt Erin says rufferling Danny's hair.
Peter comes from the living room, he smiles with glee and gets his jacket on.

We walk up the Grandad's gave. I get some wild flowers and place them onto his grave as we walk higher up the mountain. The higher we get up the mountain, the more glorious sunshine and view we had. Birds flew right above your head, you could probably count the number of feathers on each wing.

"It's a great view isn't it?" asks Danny to me.
"Yes." I say.
"Are you going back to your home?" Amanda asks.
"No. We are moving here. My Mum and Dad said the other night."
"Is that why Scott came in weirdly?" Katie asks, I nod as I watch the view. "When I grow up I am going to be a famous person."
"Why do you just say that Katie?" asks Peter who sighs at his adventurous cousin.
"I just thought I would say. I would like to be like Julie Andrews. She is a great singer and actress."
"But you can't sing." says Peter.
"How do you know? You never heard her sing." says Susan who had been quiet for a while.
"I heard her singing while she was in the bath." says Peter laughing. Katie runs around to chase him and the both stumble onto the grass laughing. Susan and Amanda sigh while I chucke under my breath.
"Stop it." says Amanda who sits onto Katie.
"Get your huge bottom off me!" says Katie who slaps her.
"No!"
"I think we should get back." says Susan, who is sighing again.
"Why?" Katie asks.
"I don't want to let Corabeth chose the colour of my room."
"But won't your Mother-"
"No Carrie...Mum doesn't stop Corabeth. No one could. You have to learn a lot now that your staying here for good." Daniel says smiling....

As we get back home, there was a note on the coffee table in the 'party' room as I call it. Around the room, loads of paintings hung up on the walls. Chandeliers in every room and long red velvet curtains hung up in every window.

Dear Children,
Erin and I have gone to Richmond to go materials for rooms. Be back in a couple of hours,find something to eat or go round to Waltons house. Love Ashley Longworth Jr.

"Great house to ourselves." says Peter who slaps his hands together. The chandeliers charm some lyrics as Peter claps his hands.
"So?" asks Susan who sits on the sofa.
"This calls for a celebration." says Peter. He goes behind the piano and collects a jar of clear liquid from the back of the small oak drawers.
"Peter. No. My Father would skin you alive if he finds you drinking that!" says Danny trying to take the jar out of Peter's hand.
"That doesn't matter! Anyway I want to celebrate." He snatches out of Danny's hand and opens the top and takes a sip.
"Don't say I didn't warn you!" Danny walks into the next room. I can tell that he was angry.
"Anyone wants some?"
"I am going to go up to my room." says Susan who stomps up the stairs.
"No thanks." I say walking into the next room. I see Danny sat on the chair, his fists placed on the table.
"You alright?" I ask walking in. I hear laughing from the other room and more jars being gland together.
"Yeah....it's just...I have never had any brothers or sisters before. And now I have three of them." I sit next to him and place my hand onto the dark oak table.
"I see what you mean." He looks up and smiles.
"Thanks." He says. Then smash! We hear. Danny races to the door. He freezes as he stares at something amazing.
"Oh no!" He races over and I get up and look.
Katie is on the floor with a jar in her hand that is now empty. Peter was sat on the couch, his feet on the coffee table and Amanda is no where to be seen.
"If Aunt Mary-Ellen saw Katie she will have a fit." I rush over to lift Katie to her feet and Danny gets the empty jars from the floor and their hands.
"Well we better put her in the spare room." He gets one of Katie's arms and I get the other.
"What about Peter?" I ask looking back at the body that tries to walk forwards but he stumbles back into the chair.
"Susan!" Danny shouts. "Susan!"
"What do you want?"
"Come down here." I say as I try to keep Katie up straight. She comes down heavily. When she sees Katie and Paul she looks shocked.
"How could you get them that way!"
"Just help Carrie get Katie up to one of the spare rooms and I will get Peter into his room." says Danny nodding at me....

When we got them to stay and sleep. I sigh and wonder if Katie will be alright to go home for supper.
"Where's Amanda?" We hear the front open and then close.
"Hello? Anyone home!" We hear Aunt Erin say....