Simple White Tennis Skirt - 4

Rose had been messaging Lilly back and forth for nearly 2 hours when her mom called her down for dinner.

As Rose pranced lightly down the stairs, she wished she could bring her phone with her to the dinner table. She and Lilly had such a good connection and vibe, and she wanted to keep talking to her new friend.

Rose and her mom sat down at the table together. Rose on the side of the table in front of the sink and window, and her mom directly across from her. For dinner was salad, a vegatable roast, and a pasta dish. All vegatarian as the two of them cared for both their health dearly and liked to give back to the Earth by home-growing most of their produce.

"So, about earlier..." Rose's mom began, Rose immediately stiffened.

"Yes?"

"Well, I just was a bit confused by why you reacted so negatively and strongly to the idea that you were queer. I mean, if you aren't then you could just say that, but it felt slightly hurtful to the community by how much you seemed to not want to be them." Her mom kindly looked into Rose's eyes, clearly wanting her to explain her reaction as something more deep than homophobia.

But Rose didn't know if she could do that without exposing herself...

As straight of course.

"Oh. Yeah well I just don't want to be associated with a group I'm not a part of..." Rose knew she had to do more than that. 

"I think the community is great though, really supportive and loving."

Rose's mom smiled, still, in her eye it was clear she wasn't completely convinced, but she didn't seem to want to talk about it anymore, which was a win in Rose's book.

After they finished dinner and cleaning up together, Rose and her mom went upstairs to watch some TV in Rose's mom's bedroom. It always felt very cozy up there.

They put on some movies, and laughed and talked through them, before Rose went to her room to wind down. It was nearly midnight but since it was summer vacation, it was likely that Lilly was still on her phone, if not awake.

"Heyyy, sorry for going away, my mom and I had dinner and were watching some movies and I forgot to get back to you!" Just a few seconds later and...

"No worries! What movies?" And just like that, Rose and Lilly fell into another 3 hour conversation.

...

Rose awoke sprawled across her bed, with her phone on the pillow next to her. She picked it up and saw a message notification that made her heart soar.

"Do you wanna go out for lunch today? I could pick you up at noon and we could go get Mcdonalds and sit in a park or something"

Lunch. Oh yes lunch! That would be perfect for Rose and Lilly to bond and become better friends over.

"Sure thing!! Looking forward to it!" Rose was ecstatic, so much so that she immediately got out of bed, and after double-checking the time, it was 10:30, began to make up an outfit.

Rose chose a simple white tennis skirt, along with a light pink cropped tanktop, which she paired with a blue and white beaded necklace she had made herself, and some small white stud earrings. She looked in the mirror and though she looked lovely. Then she just put on some deoderant and perfume, did her skincare routine and her hair, and put on some light blush, mascara, and her daily lipgloss. Today she chose a blueberry-flavoured one. 

"Perfect, I look so cute. Great for a date." She thought, before feverishly shaking her head. 

"No, this is not a date, it's a friendly lunch hangout." She sighed. 

"Why is it so hard to be straight?"

Rose then grabbed one of her purses, a white underarm one, and pranced down the stairs, went out back to tell her mom what she was up too, and went out to the front porch to wait for Lilly.