Who Do You Call? Ghostbusters!

To create Wangshu Inn's signature Jueyun Chili Chicken, the following core ingredients are required: fowl, Jueyun chili and pepper. In addition to that, one must be skilled with the blade to cut the chicken and chili into perfectl pieces. And last but not least, the mastery over the stoking flames of the stove is essential to cook the chicken into a mouthwatering, exquisite dish.

The chef wiped the sweat off his brow, puffing his chest out proudly over his new masterpiece created from his own blood, sweat and tears.

"Finally," he groaned. Beaming, he tried a sample piece of the chicken; chewing it thoroughly and analyzing the spicy, bursting flavour of the chicken.

Wait. No. Something was missing.

Lost in thought, it was a couple of seconds before he felt something bumping into his arm. Looking to his right, he found a tiny plate of spring onions being handed to him.

"You missed this."

"Aha, thank you! You're right, this is what I've been missing!" the chef exclaimed, holding up the plate in victory. Then reality dawned on him. Visibly, he paled as if all the blood had been drained out of him. Shakily glancing to his right, he got a better look on the helper. They were a transparent, glowing hue of cyan, fading in and out like light on the surface of water. Too frightened, the chef could merely register the 'person' waving his transparent hand in front of his face.

"Heeey, you alright?"

The chef could only arrive on one, horrifying conclusion.

"AAAAAAAAA THERE'S A GHOST!"

***

It had been a year since Celestia and Khaenri'ah had settled their feud. Thankfully, there was no further war between the two nations. Turns out, Celestia too wanted to keep their good image. After receiving many doubts and insults from mortals, Celestia was ultimately pressured to maintain a good relationship with Khaenri'ah on the condition that all Mechanias were to be seized, as following the Heavenly Principles. Khaenri'ah, as reluctant they were, had agreed to cooperate if Celestia sent people to restore the damage done to their nation.

For now, all was well. Aether had really outdone himself and done the impossible. Indarias sighed, watching over Jueyun Karst from one of the many tall mountains that littered the land. It was amazing how much the environment had changed following the Archon War. On top of the constant battles with festering demons and restless souls of bygone gods, Indarias, along with the other Yakshas and adepti, barely have time to sit down and admire the fruits of their labor. It was at times like this that Indarias could take in the tranquil scenery - the reason Rex Lapis, the Yakshas and adepti had fought tooth and nail for. Swinging her legs, she hummed along with the lively, traditional music some people were playing for their blessing.

Peaceful days, huh?

She closed her eyes, taking in a deep breath, letting the fresh air seep into her veins.

That was when a prayer shot into her head, snapping her out of her trance. The wailing voice of a mortal man sobbed, 'O Mighty and Illuminated Adepti, there's a ghost in my kitchen please save my poor soul!'

"Argh," Indarias grumbled. "Mortals are so weak these days. A thousand years ago, give them a hoe and they'd make a whole new village by simply living off their fruits and vegetables. Now they can't even stand a flimsy ghost!"

'Please help they're threatening to use up all my supplies to make almond tofu; Adeptus Xiao would kill me-'

Oh, dear. Now that sounds like a problem.

In a flash of fire, Indarias appeared beside the altar in Wangshu Inn. The chef, who was praying, promptly fell back onto his bottom at her abrupt presence.

"G-g-g-GHOST!" he screeched.

"Ahhh you're so noisy!" Indarias snapped. "She before you is the mighty and illuminated adeptus, Indarias. Formalities, yada yada. Now where's your ghost?"

"O-O mighty and illuminated adeptus! You've answered my call!" Grovelling, the chef bowed a couple times before pointing at the kitchen downstairs. "The last time I saw them, they're down there."

Briskly, Indarias moved into the kitchen. Her sharp orange eyes darted about, carefully observing for any signs of the ghost.

Huh. Nothing out of the ordinary. Perhaps the chef was simply hallucinating.

However, upon turning around, she froze.

Sifting through the racks of ingredients, unmistakably, was a ghost. But it wasn't just any ghost.

Long, golden hair falling across his back and in a starry black and white hanfu, the ghost was biting his lip in thought as he eyed the tin of almonds in his hands.

"A-Aether?"

At her call, the ghost turned over, tilting his head questioningly so that his hair fell to one side. Oh, Celestia. It really was him, down to the finest detail.

Running towards him, Indarias tried to yank his hands. But, for a moment, she had forgotten what she was facing was a ghost. As if his hands never existed, she passed through them as easily as air.

Oh, right...Aether was dead. He no longer had a body. The Aether before her was simply his drifting soul.

"In-Indarias?" Aether stuttered, surprised. "Oh...that actually worked. I've been meaning to get the adepti's attention since I can't do anything myself. Hey, would you like some almond tofu?"

A wave of emotions surged up at this moment. She was reminded, once again, of her devastation and the spark that was extinguished in her soul as another one of her comrades left the world. One year. She had thought one year had been enough to recover from Aether's death. But seeing him, standing before her, transparent and intangible...

Tearing up, she hugged Aether, even though it was nothing more than putting her arms around cold air. It was a moment's selfishness that she wanted to embrace. For now, for now...she wanted not to be a Yaksha sworn to defend Liyue but a friend of Aether's.

"Ah-!" Aether yelped, taken aback by the sudden action. Indarias barely moved an inch, staying still like a stone, as if Aether would disappear with any tiny movement.

"You dumb, dumb moron," she sniffed. "You left us all hanging without saying goodbye. How can you leave us and Xiao like that?"

Aether's expression softened. Focusing his energy to his hand, he patted Indarias' head. Indarias inhaled, not expecting the tangible touch.

"I'm sorry," Aether whispered.

"You should say that to Xiao," Indarias mumbled, at last letting go of Aether from her hug. "So why exactly are you here, Aether? Why can't you move on?"

It was common knowledge throughout Teyvat that when a ghost appears, it was often because they had a regret - something they wanted to do, but ultimately died before they could complete it. As for Aether...Indarias could think of many things. Most of them which are related to Xiao. However, she wasn't sure whether it was that, so she waited as Aether rubbed his head guiltily.

"That's the thing, actually. I don't...remember my regret."

"...you what."

A/N:
Aether returning back from the afterlife: Ayo what's up my man how u guys doin just makin some almond tofu here
Indarias: Bitch