Need A Hand?

It wasn't easy diving into someone's spiritual mind. But after countless times of practise, Gold had practically mastered the art.

It was like plummeting into a lightless lake with infinite depth that stretched into the infinite void. If one were inexperienced, simply entering this first step would cause them to go insane. The key was to calm your mind and focus on what you seek the most.

Gold had no specific idea on what had caused Aether's condition, much less what was the condition. So to be safe, he willed the most recent and most disturbing memory Aether has to appear before him.

Sure enough, from the dark distance, he could see a giant bubble bobbing towards him. The size of the bubble, though...

It was way too huge for a common disturbing memory. Simply from the size of it, Gold could tell that this was something that was probably eating out Aether from the inside out, a stressful matter that with one misstep would break him. It made Gold all the more curious what it was.

Reaching his hand out, Gold waited for the bubble to come in contact with him.

However, that moment never came.

Out of the murky depths, something flashed. Gold blinked, looking down at his arm. From the point after his elbow, there was nothing left. No lower arm, no palm, no fingers. Gold screamed in absolute horror, clutching his upper arm and writhing in agony. Yet no matter how loud he cried out in pain, all that came out of his mouth were silent streams of bubbles.

It's impossible, he thought madly through the haze of pain. Aether was asleep and there should be no way his consciousness could interfere. So why was-

As if summoned by his thought, the gold-haired adeptus materialised before him, one hand tightly gripping the collar of his shirt, the other holding a gleaming sword against his neck. His dark golden eyes were staring down at him - so close, Gold felt as if they were digging into his soul.

"You know, you really shouldn't pry into other people's hearts without their permission."

Before Gold could even utter out a squeak, Aether had swept his sword across.

And all was black.

Back in reality, Gold gasped, quickly taking out his burning hand from Aether's chest. In his haste, he ended up tripping over boxes and landing painfully on his bottom with a crash.

Rhinedottir, startled by the sudden noise, hurried to his rescue. However, she was stopped by a sword by her neck. Her slowly gaze followed up the length of the sword to the wielder. Aether was sitting upright with his legs crossed, his expression calm but furious.

"So, who are you guys?" Aether asked. But rather than ask, it was more like threatening. Speak, or you'll never see the light of day.

Rhinedottir nervously glanced at Gold. Gold nodded in affirmation. They weren't here to make enemies. At least, if Aether allows so.

"I'm the assistant royal alchemist of Khaenri'ah," Rhinedottir introduced herself, lifting her hands up in the air. "That is Gold, royal alchemist."

At that, Aether's sword swivelled around to meet Gold's bare neck. With the incident inside Aether's spiritual mind still fresh, Gold gulped, uncontrollably quivering.

As if to remind him that he wouldn't hesitate to do the same again, Aether prodded Gold's neck gently with the side of his blade. "Where's Xiao?"

"He's rounding up some shadow warriors that escaped!" Gold admitted immediately.

"Lumine?"

"She's with him too!"

"Hm."

With a sharp shing, the blade was taken away from Gold's neck. Gold sighed out a breath of relief, trying to calm his pounding heart. That was too close for comfort; he felt as if he was actually about to die right then and there.

"Don't think you're off the hook yet," Aether warned much to Gold's instant stiffening. "You still haven't told me why you were snooping around my mind."

"A-ah...that was..."

"...did you see it?"

Gold looked up, surprised upon seeing Aether appearing uneasy. As much as he wanted to spill everything he had found out about Aether up till now, he can't help but feel that he still needed to traverse carefully.

"I'm not sure what you meant by it," Gold said, doing his best not to say anything that might incur Aether's fury. "But from my examinations, it is clear that you are a temporal anomaly. Am I...correct?"

Upon saying that Gold simply wanted to slap himself to the upper world. Why was he still seeking approval for his hypothesis when he was this close to being on death's doorstep?

"Yes," Aether said grimly. With a sigh, he got onto his feet. "Well now that my big secret is out, I have no choice but to-"

"We'll do anything!" Gold exclaimed, much to Rhinedottir and Aether's shock.

Gold also didn't know what had possessed him to beg like that. Yet now that it has been said, he couldn't take back his words. With his mouth pressed tightly to prevent anything more ridiculous, he awaited Aether's decision.

Although for some reason Aether seemed a little confused. Coughing lightly into his fist, he said with a serious face, "I shall take you up on that, then."

***

When the last of the shadow warriors gave a dying screech and disintegrated into ashes, Xiao removed his Yaksha mask, not a sweat broke.

"You fight very well," Xiao said.

Behind him, panting as she wielded a gold-lined sword, Lumine tried for a grin. "I can say the same for you."

Despite how dangerous Gold had made the shadow warriors, they fell easily like dominoes by Xiao's spear and Lumine's sword. Perhaps it was due to their small numbers, but Xiao felt as if that was something that had been accounted for. Considering the individual strength of each warrior, they would be a force to be reckoned with if there were lots of them with a leading figure.

Luckily, those shadow warriors didn't get into the city. Xiao and Lumine, along with the guards, had swiftly rounded up the shadow warriors before they could escape and harm the citizens.

The people of Khaenri'ah...

It truly made Xiao wonder why the King was willing to sacrifice his own country for his grudge against Celestia when there was a peaceful alternative. According to Aether, the entire population of Khaenri'ah would be destroyed in a way worse than death. Even if the King didn't know this, shouldn't he have considered the lives that will be lost with an opponent as mighty as Celestia?

Furthermore, Aether had concluded long ago that preventing the destruction of Khaenri'ah is a must to accomplish his goal. What would Aether do now that both the King of Khaenri'ah and Celestia would neither budge?

When Xiao and Lumine got back, it was to their surprise to find Aether fully awake and discussing something in a low voice with Gold. Xiao knocked on the chipped wooden door. Aether turned around, a radiant beam gracing his face as he saw them.

"Xiao! Lumine!" Aether waved brightly. Xiao cautiously approached them, whereas Lumine stomped over, mercilessly punching Aether on his shoulder.

"Ow! Lumine, that hurts!" Aether yelled, holding his shoulder, his expression hurt. However, his eyes widened when he found himself embraced in a warm, tight hug.

"I'm glad you're OK," Lumine whispered.

Gently, Aether patted her back reassuringly. In this moment, if he closed his eyes, perhaps he could forget that a war was brimming, he was about to disappear, and Lumine and Xiao...

Lumine and Xiao would be safe.

"Of course I would be," he breathed. She still smelled the same - of the stars and amaryllis flowers. "I think I owe you a big explanation."

"That, you sure do."

A/N:
Aether: If I had a nickle for every time someone figured out I'm from the future I'd have two nickels
Aether: Which isn't a lot but it's weird that it happened twice