For The nth Time, I'm Not Adeptus Aether

Not a minute into their encounter and Aether concluded that the woman was extremely annoying. Although he was really thankful for her helping him vaporise dry, she just couldn't stop prattling away about how he was such a mean prankster fooling them - especially Xiao - with his death. Which was none of his business; he doesn't even remember doing anything of the sort!

"For the millionth time," Aether sighed tiredly. "I'm not the Aether you're referring to. Can you please leave me alone?"

"You can't fool me with such a shallow lie," the woman, having introduced herself as Indarias, tutted.

Another thing Aether found extremely agitating. She insisted on sticking to him like glue no matter what he did. He tried all sorts of methods to shake her off: leaping mountain to mountain, flying into the sky and even diving deep underwater. Frustratingly, she managed to keep up right beside him, nonchalantly still going on and on about Adeptus Aether's romantic relationship with Xiao and nagging him to make up with Xiao.

How she managed to do it underwater too with perfect clarity was way beyond him.

But from his futile attempts, one thing was clear: she was not going to leave his side anytime soon.

"What do you mean by a shallow lie?" Aether grumbled. At this point, he was running out of energy to put up with Indarias' antics. "I'm serious here."

"I'm serious too!" she shot right back. "You look the exact same as you did 3100 years ago before you begged Rex Lapis to let you in on our ranks. You can't fool me even in that form nuh-uh."

Aether stopped in his tracks. Finally getting a reaction, Indarias grinned, leaning down to take in his expression.

"Now will you admit it, dear Aether?" she teased.

Far from it. Rather, he was just processing what Indarias had just said. So this Adeptus Aether had lived for at least 3100 years, and had appeared exactly as he did right now?

A suspicion that had begun nagging at the back of his head ever since chatting with locals was that Adeptus Aether might actually be him. But 3100 years was so long ago - there was no way, right?

Moreover, since Indarias knew so much about Adeptus Aether's past, it was possible she had been close to Adeptus Aether and Xiao too. She could potentially lead him to Xiao.

With great gusto, Aether forced a smile onto his face. "Oh my god yes, you got me!"

In contrast to his expectations though, Indarias flinched violently. "Archons, that was so unnatural. You could have done better than that."

Now Aether was getting ticked. Does she want him to admit it or not? Dropping the act, Aether asked seriously, "Can you bring me to Xiao?"

"Hm? I sure can! But don't you know how to get there yourself?"

"A-ah-" Aether stuttered. Damn, he should not have phrased it that way. "I mean, would you accompany me to visit Xiao? After playing cat and mouse, I'm kind of lost where we are right now."

"Eeeeeh?" Indarias pouted. "So we weren't just taking an exciting walk?"

To define Aether's attempts of getting away from her as an exciting walk was downright off the mark. He would be lying too if he doesn't admit he wasn't offended. Looks like he stood no chance speed-wise against Indarias.

But luckily, Indarias simply shrugged and the matter was forgotten. With an enthusiastic whoop, she led the way with Aether a step behind. Even though Indarias talked most of the time, Aether was too busy thinking about the mysterious Adeptus Aether to pay attention to her words.

From what he has gathered, he was a powerful being known as an adeptus, native to Liyue. He had existed ever since 3100 years ago, has recently died, and had an uncanny resemblance to Aether himself. Not to mention, he also had a boyfriend by the name of Xiao.

All of this had nothing to do with Lumine. He should find zero interest in Adeptus Aether and Xiao and focus more on searching for Lumine. But even if he wanted to, there was something in the back of his mind that was desperate to meet Xiao. He didn't understand what it was. He wanted to understand what it was. It had become maddening at some point that he wished Xiao would just appear before him instead of having him travel around Liyue to find him. What was it that made him feel this way?

He wondered what he would learn upon meeting Xiao.

Before he realised it, the sun had already taken its leave, turning the sky dark and handing its role over to the moon and stars. After dropping him off at Wangshu Inn, Indarias had promptly left, claiming she had stuff to do. What's with her refusing to leave his side all day and chattering non-stop, Aether was relieved to be able to get some silence.

Thus he was left to his own device to explore the inn that was literally embedded into a tree.

With their merry customers and staff, the serene orange glow of lanterns and the calming sloshing of water from the giant waterwheel, the inn gave a very welcoming, warm and familiar vibe - a sense of home. That didn't apply for his experience walking up the dizzying set of stairs though.

When he had reached the top, he was definitely not gasping his lungs out or anything by the end of it, nope. Going inside, he found the inn's reception. It was small and cozy, with ancient tapestry displayed proudly along the walls. Despite itching to observe the relics better, he turned his eyes away from them. There would be time for it later.

Approaching the receptionist as coolly as possible, he cleared his throat. The receptionist looked up, her eyes momentarily widening. But as if realising something amiss, she appeared befuddled.

"Do you need something, Adeptus Aether?" she inquired, her hands clasped to her front.

This time, though, he had already expected her reply. With a short 'ah', he clarified, "I'm not Adeptus Aether."

"Oh, my apologies, dear guest," the woman sincerely apologised, giving a little bow.

"Do you know where I can meet Adeptus Xiao?"

There was an instant change to the woman's stature. She held herself up straighter, her gaze unblinking and her expression unsmiling.

"Adeptus Xiao does not meet people that easily," she stated.

"It's important," Aether pleaded. "Is there anything I can do to get an audience with him? Even just a minute?"

The woman fell silent, as if pondering something. Closing her eyes with a sigh, she admitted, "There is one thing you can do that may increase your chances. You may offer up almond tofu, his favourite dish, along with some incense at the altar table there. Call his name in your prayers, and he may come."

"Thank you, ma'am!" Aether said gratefully, clapping his hands together and bowing.

However, that was when he realised he had another parlous issue.

What the hell was almond tofu?

A/N:
Chef: What are you staring at?
Receptionist: Him.
*pans to Aether attempting to make almond tofu*
Receptionist: He's been trying for thirty minutes
Chef: He doesn't know how to make almond tofu
Chef: He's crying