Capitalism No More

Scaramouche has been enjoying his life so far, thank you very much. Going in and out of Celestia delivering messages, running errands, occasionally laughing at mortals doing stupid things. Yes, life is great.

Little did he know, that peacefulness will be shattered soon.

It all began when Scaramouche was taking a stroll in Mondstadt when he saw - unbelievably! - two mortal teenage boys that did not have Visions playing water tricks by the river. One of them had even summoned a wave as tall as the other and made it crash down on the latter.

Surely, he must be simply seeing things. However, he had a duty to hold, and this, he must investigate.

So approaching the boys who were soaked to the bone and laughing merrily, he chirped lightly, "Hello, there. You two seem to be having fun."

The two boys turned to look at him.

"What do you want, bowl-cut?" sneered the first boy.

Now Scaramouche just wanted to stomp on his ugly little face. But he held himself back; that would only scare them off and he would fail to get his intel.

"I'm just a humble traveller passing by," Scaramouche said calmly (while imagining kicking them in the stomach). "I found whatever magic you two just did quite interesting. Do you two perhaps have Hydro Visions?"

"Psssh, Visions from the gods?" the second kid scoffed. "No way we're getting those."

Showing off his wrist where a bracelet with a tiny glowing blue charm hung, he said proudly, "This is how we manipulate the elements. It's called a Mechania; me and my friend here got the Hydro ones. Pretty cool, huh? Got them authentic ones from Khaenri'ah."

"No more inequality between non-Vision and Vision bearers," the first boy sighed wistfully.

From Khaenri'ah? Tch, he thought Aether had that nation under his watch. Well fine, he just had to bring it up to both Her Majesty and Aether then. So much for a day off.

"Kiddos, I'm going to have to confiscate your so-called Mechanias," Scaramouche declared seriously. "Surrender them obediently and I shall leave you unscathed."

The two boys glanced at each other, grinning mischievously. Getting onto their feet, they both got into a fighting stance, the water from the river forming a person-high wave behind each of them.

"You really think we're going to surrender our Mechanias that easily?" the second boy shouted.

Ah, youth. Scaramouche could easily crush them but they're still challenging him. How foolish.

"Yes, I think you will."

With a flick of his wrist, electricity raced up their body's damp clothes, reducing them to a spasming mess. Pleasingly, Scaramouche watched as the twitching boys fell back into the river, their own waves swallowing them up.

It was no trouble for Scaramouche to slip off their bracelets. Putting one on for himself, he tried controlling the river's water. To his stunning amusement, it actually worked. The water smoothly complied with the direction his hand was moving and to his imagination. This...might really be the real deal. How did Khaenri'ah develop something so advanced?

"Hey! Give it back!" the first boy coughed, trying and failing to stand up on slippery rocks.

But Scaramouche only smirked. "Winners keepers. Bye, suckers!"

With a flash, Scaramouche disappeared, leaving the two boys flabbergasted at how easily they got their Mechnias robbed away.

***