Xiao Protection Squad Coming In

The moment those words were out of his mouth, Xiao regretted ever asking it. The awkward atmosphere that had been created was now a hundredfold thick because of his question that he carelessly let slip. Of course, he wanted to know the answer. Aether acted like he knew him and didn't know him at the same time. It made Xiao all the more confused on how he should treat this Aether.

Even so, this was definitely not the time. This was their first meeting and Aether had just woken up. But for Xiao, he had been lamenting for days on end because of Aether's sudden death and trying to cope with his grief. He had barely overcome it when this Aether waltzed into his life, giving him more worries and food to think about.

Since the question was out, though, he couldn't take it back. Quietly and tensely he waited with bated breath for Aether's answer.

Aether opened and closed his mouth several times, trying to make a comprehensible sentence. Yet no matter how hard he tried, he didn't know what to say.

Does he remember Xiao?

A part deep inside of him said yes without hesitance. Although logically speaking, Aether has no memories or anything of the like of Xiao. It's just a distant feeling, like an echo of a voice long gone.

Looking at Xiao, too - that anguished, anticipating expression of his that so not suited his pretty face - he felt obliged to say yes, if only to ease his pain and see him smile. But if he said that, he would be lying. Lies...those would hurt him more than the unblemished truth.

"I'm sorry," Aether said softly. "To be honest, I-"

However, his words were cut short when he was scooped up in a whirl of bedsheets. What?

It was a second later that he realised he was in Xiao's arms, the hot attractive man carrying him bridal style. Xiao, though, was not looking at him. Instead, his stone-hard gold eyes were fixed on a woman in the corner of the room, a levitating open book in front of her.

Indarias?

Suddenly, Aether found himself and Xiao pointed at with a sword and a claymore. There were four other people in the room now. Other than Indarias, there was a woman with flowing navy blue hair, a brutish, muscular man with four arms and a lanky man in flowing yellow robes.

Who were these people?

"What is the meaning of this?" Xiao's tone was so freezingly cold that Aether too froze up in his arms. Before this, Xiao had sounded nervous and scared, but now it was as if he had turned a total 180 degrees. His expression was terrifying; it was the look a wild tiger would give to a competing predator.

Aether glanced back at the bed and his face instantly paled. The blanket that had blocked his view was now nothing more than fried tendrils. The bed itself had sizzling scorch marks on its surface, as if it was whipped by a flaming rope. Lumine, despite not being hit by the flaming attacks, was held in a cord of glowing stones by the lanky man.

Aether wanted to yell out and save Lumine, but without knowing anything and acting recklessly might just make it worse for him, Xiao and Lumine. Clenching his fists, he forced himself to be silent, sending Lumine a look of reassurance. Lumine nodded back, biting her lips anxiously.

However, he was distracted when the woman with navy blue hair strengthened her grip on her sword pointed at them. "Let go of the boy, Xiao."

"And let you kill him?" Xiao snarled.

"If it comes to that, we shall."

"Bonanus-!" Xiao started.

"Don't let his looks deceive you," the woman, Bonanus, stated a tone louder. "Indarias has told me the details. There is a high chance that he's a monster in disguise-"

The entire room immediately started to tremble, humming with concentrated energy so powerful Bonanus faltered. If Xiao previously appeared scary, he was now livid. Bloodlust so potent it made Aether choke, finding it hard to breathe.

Xiao's voice was deadly as he growled, "Bonanus, even if you are our leader, don't you dare call Aether a-"

Aether had to step in. If this continued, he feared casualties would occur. On the fly and panicking, he cupped Xiao's face in his hands and smashed his lips onto his.

At once, the bloodlust disappeared and the room stopped shaking. Although, that detail went greatly ignored.

Bonanus' mouth fell open at the unexpected sight before her, her grip on her sword visibly slacknening. Megonias looked away, clearing his throat. Bosacius' expression remain unchanged.

"Gosh they're just sooo adorable," Indarias swooned. Then, remembering the situation, she exclaimed, "A-ah, no, I mean- get off him, boy!"

From within her binds, Lumine groaned in second-hand embarrassment. "He's so whipped."

Slowly, Aether pulled back. Xiao's eyes that were on him were wide with wonder, sparkling like molten gold. He remained unmoving, observing Aether in every way possible.

Aether, meanwhile, was trying to keep his composure. Why? Because he just kissed Xiao instinctively and this was definitely going down his top three most embarrassing memories for the rest of his life. He wanted to throw himself off a cliff or vaporise into thin air - anything but being here. Life was great while it lasted. Someone please save him.

"P-p-please calm down," Aether stammered, finding it difficult to meet Xiao's unblinking gaze.

"Get a room already," Lumine grumbled.

Xiao merely tilted his head, his hair fluttering with the motion, tickling Aether's cheek. "I am calm now. I think."

Turning to the others, his expression sharpened once again. "He's Aether. Not some boy. I assure you, he isn't...a monster."

"How can you be so sure?" the lanky man behind Lumine questioned impassively.

"Put down your weapons and I will explain," Xiao said curtly.

Bonanus twitched. She knew this would go nowhere if Xiao protected the boy like Adeptus Aether. Moreover, if possible, she wouldn't want to hurt a comrade too. With a swing of her arm, she put away her sword. The others followed suit. Lumine, set free from her binds, got onto her feet. She then stood beside Bosacius as if they were friends.

"We're in for a ride," Lumine said.

Bosacius did not reply.

Only when Xiao was sure that everyone was unarmed did he let Aether down. Taking in a deep breath, Xiao prepared himself.

The room was silent, tense, all of them waiting for Xiao's words.

"The Aether that we knew didn't belong from this time. He was not only a traveller from another world - he was also a time traveller. This Aether is the actual one."

A/N:
Aether: If in doubt, kiss