When You Wish Upon Morax

Alatus barely paid attention to the mortal world. Most of the time, he spent his time by his master's side, acting as his weapon of war against other invading gods and mortals that showed too much hope. It was only once in a while did he get his own precious few minutes of personal time.

He would have loved to spend even a few minutes - as little as it may be - with his clan. Unfortunately, the curse inlaid upon him prevented him from returning to his clan's abode. Even if he hated it, he had to praise his master for not overlooking this. Alatus might have betrayed Shimu if there remained any ties between his clan and himself. If he did, his efforts would have gone to waste; he had only sworn loyalty to Shimu in exchange for the safety of his clan and abode, after all.

Even so, every second he breathed and fought, he hated his master's existence so much that it made his blood boil.

If only he didn't exist, many people wouldn't have to suffer, he thought every time he ate off another's hopes and dreams.

If only he didn't exist, I would still be with my clan, he thought madly as he sliced through yet another body of an innocent.

But above all, he was furious at himself for being so weak and naive. If he was stronger, more powerful, he could have stopped Shimu from taking his clan and abode hostage; he wouldn't have to live in despair for the rest of his life and bring misfortune to everyone he comes across.

When he heard of Morax, the powerful and fearsome Lord of Geo that oversees the region in the north, he became curious. A god that protected and blessed their people, a god who gave chances to illuminated beasts that were otherwise cursed to live a meaningless life, a god that was admired by his people. Not out of fear, either - but out of gratitude. It was a totally mind-boggling concept to him.

He wanted to meet this god. Not to fight or harm him, but only to see if he was the real deal. There was no way such a perfect god existed.

And most importantly, how would he answer The Question?

Now said god is extending a hand towards him, asking him to join his ranks.

"Alatus..." he heard the mortal boy - Aether - whisper beside him.

The answer was easy, of course. To live the rest of his foreseeable life in agony, acting as a blade for his master and sewing despair into the world; or, to live as part of the Guili Assembly, fighting evil gods and protecting the people?

The answer was obvious. He knew what to say. But...

Clenching his fists, Alatus looked down at the trodden dirt like he was as he reluctantly grunted out a "I refuse."

He could feel the multiple pair of eyes that were searing into the back of his head. To reject an offer by the almighty Morax? No one had done it before as far as he knew. Would the god be angry? Disappointed? Or would he just leave Alatus alone?

Please, he begged in his heart, closing his eyes shut, praying that his words would reach. Free me from these rotten chains.

He felt more than saw Morax retracting his hand. The ground rumbled along with Morax's contemplating hum, and for a moment, Alatus was afraid he would be wiped off the face of the earth.

"I see. That truly is a shame," Morax said. "The likes of you in the Guili Assembly would have been extremely valuable."

An audible sigh from Guizhong, and Morax's lip visibly twitched.

"How about you come over for tea some time?" Morax offered. Squatting down so that they were eye to eye, he continued awkwardly, "You may uh...change your mind."