Today, I Give You All My Food Supplies. Tomorrow, Who Knows?

Everything would have gone smoothly if, well, the unknown god didn't choose to awaken at that moment.

Aether was already zipping through time. It wasn't like a single-step in portal and voila, he's on the other side. It's more of a long, never ending tunnel with galaxies for stars making up the floor, walls, and ceiling.

Technically, there were no floors, walls, or ceiling. It was just a tunnel through time, a rip through space. Aether just had to find the time when he got transported into this world, and make sure that he and Lumine used the back door instead of the front door to exit this world.

And there it was. Flashes of images of them packing up their belongings to head to the main entrance of Teyvat. Aether was laughing at Lumine who had accidentally dropped a thousand raw meat out of her spacial bag. However, that laughter was short-lived as a claymore came flying at past-Aether's face.

The present Aether chuckled fondly at the memory. Dipping his hands into the walls of the milky galaxies, he took in a deep breath before stepping forwards.

Unfortunately, that was when he felt the hairs on the back of his neck stand on end, and he whipped around to see Lumine - no, the unknown god - with her hand outstretched, her golden eyes glowing with rage, a meter away from him-

But almost miraculously, a blast of wind knocked Aether away from the unknown god's reach. It carried him almost like a water slide further down the tunnel of time, until the unknown god became a speck in the distance and her furious howl became lost to the howling wind.

Aether released a sigh of relief. The wind was still carrying him, almost as if it had some sort of a form. Without thinking, Aether patted it gently.

"Thanks, Xiao."

The wind danced around him almost happily. He smiled, but suddenly-

Black.

...

...

..

He awoke with a gasp. What...just happened?

The first thing he realised: he was cold. And lying down, facing a grey, snowy sky. Slowly, he sat up, and observed his surroundings.

Snow seemed to cover into the distance as far as he could see. He grabbed a fistful of it from the ground, rubbing at it, almost curiously. As a gust of wind blew past, he shivered under the sudden blast of coldness it brought.

Could he have landed in Dragonspine?

There were no humans in sight. Civilization seemed non-existent in this area.

Alright, then. Aether got up onto his feet, brushing off the snow that had taken free real estate on his body.

First, he's got to figure out where he is. He checked out his inventory - good, all his supplies, weapons, and gadgets were still intact. So necessities were not a concern.

The only thing was that he kinda missed Paimon's presence by his side. The little fairy (as he had dubbed her, because hell she doesn't even know her own species) had parted ways with Aether right before Aether received news about his sister in the abyss. He wondered where the fairy had gone, and whether she was alright.

Rustle.

Instantly, Aether's sword was in hand, pointed at the leafless bush behind him. There, hiding not-so-perfectly, cheeks bulging and a fistful of snow in both hands, was...a boy. A teen, maybe around fourteen years old. His black hair dusted with snow clung to his scalp like a damp mat. He was so skinny that to Aether, he almost seemed like a walking skeleton with only some flesh clinging onto his skin. Even so, a grey, rusty shackle bounded this boy's neck. Aether's heart ached in sympathy for this poor boy.

"Hey-" he began, to which he was given an indignant squawk. He paused, unsure of what that meant. The boy looked at him with those glowing amber eyes of his, almost like he was calculating and observing every single movement of Aether's. Aether couldn't help but feel a bit uncomfortable under that strong gaze - which also felt really familiar.

To show that he meant no harm, he made his sword disappear and raised both his hands, showing both palms to prove that he was unarmed. The boy continued to stare at him as if he grew another head. After a few seconds, the boy seemed to deem Aether as safe and continued munching on whatever was in his mouth.

Aether sighed in relief. His arms were really getting tired. But most important, he had gotten...somewhat of a trust with this boy.

As the boy munched on blanky, Aether cleared his throat, not wanting to scare the boy for suddenly talking again.

"Hi, my name is Aether. I was wondering if you..."

He trailed off when he realised the boy was lifting the fistful of snow into his mouth. His older-brotherly instincts kicked in and his hand was reaching out, stopping the boy from putting it into his open mouth. The boy blinked in confusion, trying to move his arm. When his efforts were futile, he turned his glare of daggers towards Aether when Aether's hand still hadn't budged.

"I'll let go if you agree not to eat once I do," Aether stated strictly. Yet he felt bad for whatever situation the boy was in for him to stoop down so low to eat something like snow. What kind of background does this boy have? Where were his parents? Why was he alone in this cold, lifeless land brimming with snow?

The boy huffed, turning his head away. Aether took it as a 'yes' and let go of his hand, which fell slackly against the boy's side.

"Alright, now hold still, I've got a present for you!" Aether teased mischievously.

Like magic, Aether snatched out a big, shiny red apple from his bag with a "tadaa!". The boy did not look impressed. Even so, he hesitantly accepted the apple from Aether's hand. Aether smiled as the boy observed it carefully - probably making sure it wasn't poisoned or anything - before taking a cautious bite out of the fruit.

"Sweet."

By the Seven. The boy spoke! Aether was so elated to finally hear him speak - it almost felt like he was getting the boy's approval.

"I have a lot more food if you want," Aether offered eagerly. He showed him the inside of his inventory, and for a moment, the boy's eye twitched, looking inside of a bag that was way deeper and larger than what it looked on the outside. "You can pick anything you want and as many as you want. My treat!"

"You are weird," the boy said. To him, Aether was nothing more than a stranger. A person passing by, someone he could kill easily. They just met, but this person was offering all of his food supplies for someone as equally a stranger as he was.

Well, if he was suspicious, he can easily be dealt with.

The boy grunted, apparently, struggling internally with something. Aether gave him a concerned look. Was he getting a stomach ache?

"Alatus," the boy said. Facing him with piercing golden eyes, Aether saw Xiao.

Xiao, once caught smiling as he and Aether watched the sunset over Jueyun Karst. Xiao, who came to Aether's protection even if the enemy was just a hilichurl. Xiao, who spluttered angrily when Aether made him yet another plate of almond tofu, insisting he should stop staying up for this useless dish, but still accepted and savoured it slowly, a smile on his lips.

"That is...my name."

Crap, how far back in time has he come?

A/N:
Aether: Tadaa! An apple!

Xiao: Wow so amabing I am shooketh

Cover by @cituriix on Instagram