Xiao Gets a Makeover

Aether awoke to the exciting chirping of birds, signalling the beginning of another day. Creaking open his eyes, he squinted at the window, between which the nearly shut curtains a gentle shaft of sunlight streamed.

Yawning wide, he slowly sat up, stretching his arms above his head. His glazed eyes roamed over his and Xiao's room.

Yes, his and Xiao's room. The past him would have never thought they ended up here. It wasn't that he insisted, but the moment they discussed where to stay when they came back from the Vermilion's abode, Guizhong had assigned them a room for the both of them to stay in in the adepti's abode. At first Aether had been hesitant, not sure whether that would intrude upon Xiao's personal space, but Xiao had agreed without a second thought.

So here he was. Two years later, having just woken up from a full night's rest in his and Xiao's room.

The room was pretty nice, to be honest. It was cozy, with two single beds separated by a bedside table in the centre. Currently, Aether was occupying the right one. Reason why was because of convenience, since to his right there was a desk and chair for him to work on his time travelling notes. Whereas to the left, a small hallway led to a bathroom on the left and frontwards, a door to exit their room.

Aether also had to praise the designer of the room too. The Liyuen styles expressed beautifully through the furniture and design of the room made Aether's jaw fall to the floor the moment he was introduced to the room. Even now, he was impressed every time he set foot in the room.

Speaking of Xiao, he rarely ever used his own bed. Due to his recurring nightmares, Xiao would prefer to roam about than drift to the dream realm. Aether felt bad that he couldn't do much, but to that, Xiao had said, "Reality is better than the dream world for sure."

And for some reason, he had excused himself immediately after that.

But as always-

There was a knock on the door. Aether hurriedly combed through his hair with his fingers and patted them down just a second before an angel stepped in.

"Good morning," the angel whose name was Xiao greeted, a gentle smile on his face.

No matter how many times he saw Xiao's smile, especially as his morning greeting, Aether swooned like the lovesick puppy he was. He was glad that Xiao had learned to be more carefree and had seemed happier ever since they moved in with the adepti. Seeing Xiao more cheerful made Aether more joyful too.

"Mornin'," Aether chuckled.

Xiao has also changed since the past two years. After having the first proper bath he had since decades, the true nature of Xiao's hair had been revealed. It was exactly like Aether had remembered: seaweed green with streaks of glowing teal. He had also been given a total makeover from Guizhong with some comments from Morax. Once the shackle around his neck had been removed, he had been given intricate clothes that Guizhong had designed and made herself.

It was like he had totally become the Xiao from the future. Everything about him, to his clothes, hair colour, piercing eyes, accessories were alike, except for the purple diamond on his forehead and his tattoos on his right arm.

But today...

Aether ogled as Xiao walked past him and placed a blue porcelain bowl on Aether's desk.

"We're going out after breakfast," Xiao said. "Morax said there was a mutated whopperflower between Tianqiu Valley and Luhua Pool. We've been assigned to check it out once we're ready."

"Oh..." Aether trailed off, staring oddly at his right arm and his forehead.

Huffing, Xiao turned around. "Call me when you're finished. I'll be in the common area."

It wasn't until the sound of the door snapping shut did Aether snap out of his daze. Stab him if he was wrong, but...

When the hell did Xiao get his tattoo and the purple diamond on his forehead?

Meanwhile, Xiao, in the hallway on the other side of the door, gripped his rapidly beating heart. Why was Aether staring at him like that? Was there something on his face?

While he was still calming down, unbeknownst to him, a four-armed burly man was striding in his direction, in each hand a steamed bun. Upon noticing Xiao, he made a straight beeline and shoved a steamed bun into his mouth.

"Good morning bro!" he greeted enthusiastically, patting (read: slapping) his back in his show of comradeship. Then, apparently noticing something, he leaned down, his free lower right arm rubbing his chin.

"Say, did Guizhong give you a makeover?"

"Huh? Why would you say that?" Xiao asked, obviously confused. If Menogias, the all brawn no brain of the group noticed this, it clearly wasn't an Aether thing. Was there really something wrong with his appearance today?

To double check, he lifted up his arm and twisted his body around to see if there was anything odd on him. However, that only made Menogias laugh.

"You're funny, Xiao," he chortled, electric purple eyes crinkled with laughter. He then pointed at Xiao's right arm, and Xiao finally realised what it was.

"Oh, this," Xiao said sheepishly.

"And another one on your forehead."

"Don't worry about it," he sighed. Sheesh, it got him worried for nothing. "It's simply just-"

"A mark of coming of age for Vermilions?" Aether gaped.

Rex Lapis only sipped on his tea calmly while Aether processed what he had just told him.

"So...does that mean that today Xiao becomes an adult?"

Frowning, Rex Lapis put down his tea on the table. "I don't get what you mean by...'adult'."

They were currently in the common area. Underneath a lust, gently swaying maple tree, the both of them were sitting on a rock-made tea table surrounded by a lake. To others, this may be known as the common area. But to Aether, for a long time, this place had been known to him as the peak of Mount Aocang.

"Ah, sorry I don't think this applies for adepti," Aether said quickly. That was so careless of him. He nearly forgot that this version of Zhongli still lacked much knowledge of mortal customs and might find it offensive if he were to compare adepti with mortal concepts. "Adult is basically a mortal that is fully grown and developed."

"Ah, I see." Rex Lapis nodded in understanding. "Then yes, starting from today, Xiao is an adult."

Holy Celestia. Xiao is an adult. Aether swore that he was going to make it the best day ever for Xiao to celebrate this once-in-a-lifetime occasion, but the problem is...

He had totally not prepared a coming of age present at all. 

A/N:
Aether's braincells: Gay gay homosexual gay

We're off in a tiny arc now before the climax's arc begins! Savour these peaceful times before I crush your souls

Happy Chinese New Year to those celebrating too!