...Did I Do That?

Mildly, Aether wondered where he had gone wrong. Whether he had gone wrong.

He remembered, 3100 years ago, back when he was in his original timeline, he had read a heart shattering book called 'Yakshas: The Guardian Adepti'. Although Xiao from his timeline had claimed that it was all fanfiction made up by mortals, there was still the fact that Xiao was the remaining Yakshas while three were annihilated and one went missing.

Perhaps it was too early to say, for they were currently 500 years from the original time he came from.

But something just didn't sit right. Especially when the Yakshas - Bonanus, Indarias, Megonias, Bosacius - were here at Wangshu Inn. Playing mahjong.

"What the hell are you guys doing?" Aether sighed, much like an exasperated mom.

"Oh, hi, Aether! Xiao!" Indarias greeted enthusiastically, waving an arm in the air.

"Welcome back," Bonanus smiled.

"HU!" Megonias shouted, revealing his entire row of tiles. In his victory, he proudly puffed out his chiseled chest. "I win!"

Indarias and Bonanus clapped politely. Bosacius, as typical of him, simply rolled his eyes. "Don't let it get into your head, silly buffoon."

"Oh, Aether and Xiao are back," Megonias said.

Throughout the years, Xiao had not changed one bit, preferring to stay in a teenage boy's form. Aether, however, was not capable of shapeshifting. Despite his extremely slow aging, Aether had grown half a head taller than Xiao. Before this, he may have looked around fifteen years old. Now, he looked nearly eighteen, holding himself with more of a mature and reassuring air.

He had changed up a bit of his style too. Instead of a long braid, he had tied up his blond hair into a high ponytail, where it flowed down his back like a waterfall of gold. His attire was also changed. Now, he wore an elegant black hanfu with billowing white sleeves, on which glittering stars were embroidered.

If anyone were to look at him, they would definitely no doubt think he hailed from Liyue. It made his current identity all the more easier to believe; for the past 3100 years, he was Aether, the One Who Has Touched The Stars.

"We're playing some mahjong to pass the time," Bonanus said while shuffling the mahjong tiles. "Wanna join in?"

"No thanks," Xiao flatly rejected.

"I'll pass," Aether said.

Shrugging, Bonanus said, "Suit yourself."

Aether and Xiao made their way past them and onto the top floor of Wangshu Inn. There, they were greeted by the bowing receptionist. Xiao ignored them whereas Aether gave them a tiny wave.

Today was a clear, breezy night. On the top floor, under the swaying yellow shade of a vast tree, they could see into the distance and beyond from the moonlight. Aether could even spot Dragonspine as a high snowy mountain, its peak surrounded by a blizzard. Below them, the deserted Guili Plains splayed out like an elaborate art piece by nature, lit up by streetlights. Even if it has recovered from the war in the past, Aether still couldn't forget the bloodshed that had tainted its lands and the sorrow and anguish that followed.

"What's on your mind?" Xiao asked.

Aether gripped on the railings, his knuckles turning white from how hard he was doing so. "Do you think I messed up?"

Xiao hummed contemplatively, joining Aether's side. Gently, he put a hand on Aether's, quietly comforting him.

"No," Xiao said truthfully. "Do you think something is wrong?"