Have You Seen My Roommate?

With a swing of Xiao's spear, the final mutated wolf fell onto its side, beady eyes glassy and unblinking. Killing them was no big deal - it was the horrendous soul shattering pain that came after.

Despite trying to suppress it as much as possible, Xiao fell onto one knee, holding back a scream. One hand clenched harshly above his chest while the other dug his spear deeper into the cracked ground, using it as a support.

To add to his suffering, the lingering essence of the fallen gods would find a way to latch to his soul, filling every vein and fibre of his body with intense hatred for the world and especially-

'MORAX!' they despaired unison.

In an attempt to quell the voices, Xiao gritted his teeth and pressed both his hands on the sides of his head. Yet as always, it was fruitless.

'CURSE YOU, MORAX!'

'CELESTIA CAN FALL FOR ALL I CARE.'

'TEYVAT SHOULD JUST ROT.'

'I WILL DRAG EVERYONE DOWN WITH ME.'

'MORAX, AS ARROGANT AS ALWAYS.'

'EVERYONE SHOULD JUST DIE.'

No, he does not hate Morax. He does not desire to see the world destroyed. He does not, he does not-

Does he?

Just when he thought he was going to combust from all the accumulated karmic energy, he heard the softest of whispers, as fleeting as a beat of a butterfly's wings.

"Xiao."

It was...Aether's voice. He could barely hear it through the cacophony of wailing gods in his head, but...it was most definitely Aether's voice.

An image of Aether's glowing smiling face appeared in his mind, as clear as crystal. The voices in his head became a distant chatter, receding into a corner in his mind.

Yes, for Aether, he needed to survive this devastating battle of both body and spirit. He can't give in to the demons - not when he still has something to do, someone waiting for him.

He allowed a few moments to collect himself. When he came to, his first thought was that since he had cleared this area of demons, he would have a couple hours to spare. Perhaps he could pay the abode a visit and see Aether.

Aether calling his name, though...it was quite rare. Whenever he heard Aether's voice, he would feel both relieved (to know that Aether was still thinking of him) and worried (how was he doing? Xiao doesn't know anymore).

It made him sad that he couldn't be by Aether's side and know Aether's condition nowadays. How long has it been since their last separation? Try as he might to count the days, he would black out at times or go into a crazed state for some time, so counting was never reliable.

Still...it must have been at least a year since then. Xiao dearly missed Aether's voice, his ethereal presence, the almond tofu he made and the little surprises.

Thus, making up his mind, he got up on his feet once more. The battlefield was a mess: motionless wolf carcasses strewn everywhere, their sickly poisoned purple blood soaking the blemished land in bubbling puddles.

It was not a lovely sight, but it can't be helped. His task here was to eliminate the wild pack of wolves - nothing more, nothing less.

With blood-stained shoes, he walked through the dead wolves he had slewn, back to the adepti's abode.

***

It was a surprise to Xiao when he found the abode nearly as lively before the battle at Guili Plains. Unfamiliar faces swam in and out of his vision as he navigated through the courtyard, making his way to the dormitory.

He noticed, however, that the instant someone saw his face, they cleared a good distance and bowed until he left. That was odd. The adepti had never treated him differently in any way - so why the sudden change in behaviour?

As he arrived at the entrance to the dormitory, it was with surprise that he found none other than Cloud Retainer, the creator of the abode, in her cranely glory.

"Cloud Retainer," Xiao greeted curtly.

"Ah, Xiao," Cloud Retainer said, turning her unblinking azure blue eyes on him. "One is happy to see you back. One hopes all has been going well with your duties."

"It's nothing," Xiao said. "Besides that, is Aether in?"

"Aether?" Cloud Retainer chirped thoughtfully. "Ah, you mean our honoured guest! Alas, he's not in today, Xiao."

Xiao sighed. He just had to be this unlucky that Aether was out when he had time to come back?

"When does he usually return?"

"Hm, one is afraid he doesn't usually return. The last time one has felt his presence in the abode was three years ago."

Her final words echoed endlessly in his head. Three years ago. Three. Years. Ago. Has it been that long? And if Aether was not here, where...

Where was he?

He stormed into the dormitory without haste, Cloud Retainer's call merely white noise in the background. He found his way without interruption, passing adepti paling hurriedly making way for him with one glance at his face.

The agitating voices in his head used his disturbed state to chatter even louder, whispering words of doubt into his head and making him increasingly distressed.

'Oh, dear, blondy got fed up with the adepti, didn't he?'

'Good riddance. To think of the dangers he would face outside the abode!'

'It'll be amazing if he was dead!'

It was with a heavy slam that nearly blew the door off its hinges that Xiao entered his and Aether's room. He looked around, heaving deep breaths.

It was totally devoid of life. The curtains were pulled open, the artificial sunshine a spotlight for the dust dancing in the air. The floor was dusty too. In fact, the entire room was covered in dust. Even the bed that Aether so often slept in was caked in the grey nuisance.

Yet the eerie thing was that Aether's study desk was totally stripped of notes, papers and diagrams. Not a single trace that Aether had even used this table could be seen, except...for a letter that laid innocently on the desk.

Xiao instantly snatched up the letter. With shaking fingers, he fumbled a bit before managing to open the folded letter. Indeed, it was Aether's handwriting that adorned the yellowed paper. That, in itself, made Xiao both relieved and nervous of the contents of the letter.

Please, be safe, he prayed as he began reading.

A/N:
Cloud Retainer: Hey Xiao what do you want to eat
Fallen gods: The souls of the innocent
Xiao: A plate of almond tofu
Fallen gods: No!
Xiao: Two plates of almond tofu