Episode 5: Nightmares

• Dedicated to Verena Maier

EPISODE 5: Nightmares

    November 24th 2008, the new couple in school

    I arrived a bit late for school and it was raining. I flipped open my umbrella and made my way to class. “Hey Levi!” someone called from behind me. I heard footsteps pacing towards me and an arm slipped in side mine and we were arm-in-arm, Angelina and me. I looked at her brown hair and smiled as I marveled at her beauty. We walked inside our class and it seemed everyone was waiting for us to come in. Word had spread about our date it was obvious. I closed my umbrella and sat down at the far back and she followed. I took of my black raincoat and chucked it on the floor. “Lee… everyone is staring at us” she whispered.

“Is that supposed to be a bad thing?” I replied.

She grinned and pulled out her science book from her satchel, I done the same after a while. The lesson was interesting. We learnt a lot of stuff that we probably would never ever use in real life circumstances but Mr. Michael kept blabbering on. Science was starting to bore me, I rested on my arms as usual, and she rested on me. I could feel her on me, I could hear her composed breathing, and it was like a lullaby, and like a lullaby, it took me to sleep.

    I was in the primary basketball court. What was I doing there? I didn’t know. Around me several people started emerging from the sky and they were all dressed elegantly. My body got thrown into the audience and I was standing within hundreds of students. A spotlight appeared in the middle of the court and two figures were staring at each other. Angelina and Mustafa. A searing pain in my heart was feeding on my insides until I felt hollow. Their faces were glowing bright. They were smiling. By now anything that the pain hadn’t eaten up was burnt. I knew what was going to happen. I pushed people out of the way, literally running at them. It was too late. Their lips met and I couldn’t move anymore. I pushed on. I was meters from them.

“Angie, what are you doing?” I said. At this point my heart was banging against my chest. She turned her head to face me.

“Levi, I’m sorry. I love someone else. I didn’t want you to find out this way. I was going to tell you.”

“Tell me what? That I was never good enough for you! Huh?” I shouted.

“Lee, please. Don’t ruin this night for me.”

“I wont” I was starting to tear.

“I wont, cause every time I thought you loved me, was it all just to get Mussy?”

“Lee…”

“HUH?”

“Yes Lee. it was”

There was nothing else to say. I ran away. I sprinted with my eyes closed. Sprinting into nothing. I paced into nothingness. When I opened my eyes I was in a hallway. At the end of the hallway there was a door. I walked towards it and there was something written on it:

‘Room 247: Maternity Ward’

I opened the door to see a woman. Sleeping on a bed, with a child in her arms. A man was sleeping on a chair to the right. I knew who they were; Mustafa and Angelina. The ground broke up underneath me and I woke up.

    “Levi, Levi Wake up!” Angelina screamed.

I opened my eyes; there was water on the table, not so much though. It was my tears. I lifted my head up and escaped the class. I couldn’t stay there. My insides were recovering but I had to go somewhere I could relax. I walked over to the primary basketball court and sat in the middle. I was wiping tears that were constantly flooding down my face. ‘It was just a dream’ I kept on reminding myself. My mind was dizzy. Something was coming towards me. I sort of knew it was Angelina before I saw her sit down next to me.