Episode 44: Nightmares 4

         There was this brief period of time, where I was plagued with insomnia. My mind was continuously restless. I wasn’t quite sure what was bothering me but I wouldn’t be able to sleep at night, only to pass out during lessons. I was used to sleeping in class once in a while but in that short period of time, it was annoying and it was a burden I hated to carry.

February 4th 2011, Insomnia is a bitch.

         I got up from bed after not being able to sleep again. I hit the shower and the cold water draped my body in shivers. I was slowly coming in and out of reality as I started to feel the symptoms of not falling asleep. I felt disgusted and my stomach was empty. I dragged on to brush my teeth, eat my breakfast and put on my uniform before I set out for school.

         I was well worn out by the time I reached the classroom and everything around me, every detail, was reduced to nothing but a blur. My memory wasn’t collecting anything. I knew where I was but I felt lost. It was depressing as well. I felt the class as it entered the door behind me. A soft kiss on my cheek from none other than Erika helped me regain a little focus.

‘Wow! You looked drenched!’ she exclaimed. 

‘Really? I couldn’t feel any better’ I joked. Through my blurry vision I could see a smile stretch across her face.

‘Lee… You should just go sleep. You look bad dude.’

 I looked at her. The fog in my vision cleared up a little.

‘Yeah. You’re right. Let me hit the library.’

I felt a soft peck on my lips and set for the library feeling confused. I never thought about registration. I was too tired and exhausted. It wasn’t worth the time. I entered the library and sat down. I buried my head into my arms and let the scenery sink into my head. 

         The scenery was dark. I felt my presence but I could not tell of anything around me. It felt cold.

‘I’m sorry.’ A soft, female voice said. It was soft and sobbing. I could hear her harsh breathing. She was heavily sobbing and was finding it difficult to control her breathing.

‘Why didn’t you tell me earlier?’ another voice said. It was mine. Easily recognizable. I could hear the anger in my voice. My breathing became more pronounced.

‘I’m sorry! I couldn’t bring myself to tell you.’ The other voice said. It became obvious that it was Erika. Curiosity made me question why she was crying and why was I angry. The scene started to reveal itself. I was standing in front of Erika. Holding her by her arms. My eyes were red and watery.

‘If I told you…’ she began but broke off into crying. I hugged her and tears started to drop from my eyes.

‘We just have to make the best of…’ I began but the scene started to fade. My soul was ripped away from my body and was shot upwards. I could feel my heart beat take its course through my body. My soul began to descend until it reached another scene. A slightly older looking me was in my room, packing his bags. I seemed relaxed and calm. I then proceeded to go on my computer and go on facebook. My heart was thumping for no reason. My dream was starting to blur and I could feel my body against the table in the library.

         My head shot upwards. My sight was quite blurry to begin with but began to clear. From left to right stood Angelina, Corey, Mustafa, Muksin and Erika.

‘Yo, your body shot itself up man. What’s up?’ Mustafa said.

‘Nothing man. Had a good rest but weird dreams with no meaning.’ I replied.

‘You’re not having nightmares again are you Lee?’ Angelina said. I looked up at her. She had a bruise on her eye. For a second, anger piled up in me. For some reason, I was angry that someone hurt her.

‘What happened to your face Angie?’ I said. She let out a little squeak and covered her eye with her hand.

‘Nothing. Please don’t look at my eye.’ She replied. My face began to show a sign of disgust.

‘Who did that to you?’ I asked. The anger kept on piling and piling on top of me. My forehead seemed hot.

‘Just forget about it. Stop worrying over nothing.’ My head quickly turned around to Erika. She seemed a bit saddened.

‘Whatever.’ I replied to Angelina. I didn’t want to be bothered with her usual stubbornness.

‘How long was I out?’ I asked Erika.

‘You missed the first two lessons so about two hours.’ She replied. I was surprised. The dreams seamed rather short. I laid back and looked up at all my friends. With a smile across my face I asked:

‘How long have you lot been staring at me sleep?’ 

         That day seemed rather short but my mind kept on playing between two things. Firstly, my dream. It seemed weird. It felt as if a message was encrypted in it. My dreams always came true during that time whether I liked it or not. Secondly, Angelina. I had already come to terms with the fact that I wasn’t completely over her but the way I reacted annoyed me. Sure, I should’ve been worried about her but the anger that weighed in my chest was too large.  I felt like attacking. I wanted to hurt someone over it for no real reason. The anger was immense. Angelina had a soft spot on me and my mind wasn’t ready to let go of the relationship we had. It just couldn’t.