Chapter 39

Naruto was standing at attention in the Hokage's office. "I heard what happened yesterday, but I would like a detailed explanation of what transpired so I can give the appropriate disciplinary actions," Tsunade says to him. They were alone in the office. Not even Shizune was there, a rarity nowadays. "I went to visit Sasuke at the hospital. He was angry and told me to meet him on the roof. When I got up on the roof, he challenged me to fight. I told him I wasn't going to fight him. He got angrier and attacked," Naruto starts his explanation of the previous day. "I blocked his attack and told him if we are going to fight, he was going to have to put on his hitai-ate. he refused, and I told him I wouldn't attack unless he was wearing it," Naruto continues. "He got angry and fired a Gōkakyū no Jutsu at me and I blocked it he fires up a Chidori and I tried to counter it with a Rasengan but Kakashi-sensei redirected us into water towers on the roof," Naruto finishes his explanation. He stood a little straighter ready for anything Tsunade would give him.

Tsunade looks at her nephew and rubs her temples. She hadn't heard that he was only defending himself. But, before she can lay down her punishment, Kotetsu and Izumo interrupt them. "We have something to report," Kotetsu says as he places the documents he had been carrying down on Tsunade's desk. "Uchiha Sasuke has left the village," Izumo says after he had done the same. "What did you say!" Tsunade screams as she slams her fist into the desk. It was lucky for the table that she didn't enhance her strike with chakra. Otherwise, it would only have been rubble left. She grits her teeth. "Naruto your punishment will be postponed," She seriously says as she turns to her nephew. "Izumo, Kotetsu bring Shikamaru in, I have a mission for him," Tsunade orders the two other chuunin in her office. They salute and leave in a hurry.

Shikamaru arrives in the office soon after. When he walks in, he sees a serious-looking Godaime reading a report of some sort and a restless Naruto pacing back and forth. Something terrible must have happened. Naruto was not a pacer. And from what he had seen, the female Hokage was never this focused on one thing this intensely before. She looks up and meets his eyes shortly after he walks into the office. "Late last night Uchiha Sasuke left the village," She drops the ball. "And there is almost no mistake that he is heading for Otogakure no Sato," She continues before he can digest the bombshell she just dropped. "Left?! Why..?" Shikamaru asks his Hokage.

"Because he was enticed by that Orochimaru!" She answers in a stern tone. "I believe Naruto has a more complete picture of what has happened between the two. but I suspect it has something to do with the curse mark Orochimaru gave him during the Chuunin Exams," Tsunade explains. "W-W-Wait a minute!" Shikamaru tries to comprehend what she just said. "There is no time. You need to assemble a team to recover Sasuke. This will be your first mission as a chuunin team leader," Tsunade. "Me?! Why not Naruto?!" Shikamaru asks. "He hasn't stopped pacing since we heard the news. I don't think he is in the right mind to lead this mission," Tsunade says gravely. "The mission parameters is just to bring Sasuke back?" Shikamaru asks after taking a few seconds to calm down. "Yes... However, not only is time of essence on this mission, But it may turn into something quite difficult. There is a strong possibility that those under the control of Orochimaru are guiding Sasuke," She explains. The gears in Shikamaru's head were turning. You could almost hear it.

"In that case, please give me a four-man cell composed of only Jonin and Chuunin," Shikamaru requests. "Sorry, not possible. I'm sure you have heard from your father that we have a shortage of ninjas. The only available Chuunin or Jonin are you and Naruto. You can take him with you. I feel he would have sneaked out either way," Tsunade says. "Within the next 30 minutes, gather the genin you consider the best and leave this village! Naruto that includes you too!" Tsunade says to the pacing shinobi. Naruto halts and heads out together with Shikamaru.

"So, who do we bring?" Naruto asks his team leader. "I want to bring Choji and Kiba," Shikamaru says. "We should bring Neji and Shino as well," Naruto counters. "Shino is away training with his father. But I agree with Neji," Shikamaru explains. "Good, I'll go get Neji, you go get Choji, and you get Kiba on the way towards the gate," Naruto says as he runs towards the Hyuuga complex. "Talk about a troublesome guy..." Shikamaru says as he runs in the other direction towards the Akemichi complex.