chapter forty-three

Monday, February 15, 2020

✧ elijah ✧

"Morning, Sugar," I say when Noah's eyes finally flutter open. I woke up about five minutes ago and have been watching him sleep peacefully, wondering how the fuck I got this lucky.

My mind has been all over the place lately, but spending Valentine's with Noah seemed to temporarily remedy my mental turmoil. With finals, waiting for university replies and my father's first death anniversary coming up, I haven't been spared a moment of mental peace and quiet. But now, with Noah laying on top of me and in my arms, I can be distracted - even if it's for a short while.

"What time is it?" Noah groans.

"Just after seven, we need to get ready for school," I say, slowly stroking his back.

Noah groans again, "I don't want to go."

"Tough shit, you can have the shower first."

"Okay, just... five more minutes," Noah whispers, nuzzling my neck. The action sends shivers down my spine, so I give in. He knows exactly what he does to me, the sly bastard.

Five minutes later, Noah still hasn't moved from on top of me. It's time to take some drastic measures.

"If you don't get up in the next five seconds, I will start tickling," I warn.

Noah hums in response, not taking me seriously until I've counted down to two. He sprints into the bathroom, leaving me alone in bed, staring at the ceiling.

A moment later, I slip on a shirt and pyjama pants and head downstairs to find out what Mom is up to. The smell of blueberry waffles and sweet jam fill the air as I near the kitchen.

"Morning," I say to my sisters who are eating their breakfast at the table, ruffling their hair.

"Where's Noah?" Cassie asks with her mouth full.

"He's taking a shower upstairs. Did you have fun last night?"

"Soooo much fun, Mom took us to play games and we won all the prizes," Sally says as she gestures enthusiastically.

"That sounds fun. I'm gonna go say hi to Mom."

"Morning, sweetheart," Mom greets as I place a kiss on her cheek. She's loading up our waffle maker with more batter and sprinkling. a few blueberries on top. "Is Noah upstairs?"

"Yeah, he'll be down soon. How was last night?" I steal a few berries and pop them in my mouth.

"It was great, the girls really enjoyed it."

"Did you enjoy it?"

"Of course I did," she smiles. "Any time I spend with my family is enjoyable to me."

"Do you want to put together a plate for Noah or do you think he'd rather come down and do it himself?"

"I'm sure he wouldn't mind if I made him a plate," I say, grabbing two plates. "Are you not eating?" I stack two waffles on one and three on the other, drizzling maple syrup over my waffles.