Crazy things don't happen to normal everyday people, right?

"An ID has been found on the body."

The smell of lasagna wafts through the kitchen as I walk in. Rodrick's dad and brothers are already sitting at the table with their food, waiting for the rest of us. 

Susan hands me a white plate and tells me to help myself, gesturing towards the dish of food and bread before she goes to sit down as well. I thank her and take a normal-sized square of food, careful not to look like a slob around these people. 

I look behind me to Rodrick who sends me a soft smirk. I look down at my feet, hiding the redness that's enveloping my cheeks again. 

I'm not sure where they want me to sit but Mrs. Heffley points to a seat at the end of the table. Rodrick takes the last chair available. After everyone's seated, the boys begin to practically inhale their food. 

I carefully cut into the layered pasta and sauce, trying my best not to drop it directly on my lap. My eyes drift towards the tv that's on the local news channel. Right now they're complaining about some kind of wreck that's backing up traffic on the highway. I shift my attention away from the TV and back towards the conversation at the table. 

"Did Rodrick tell you that he's got a new guitarist in his little band?" Mrs. Heffley asks me, politely.

"It's not a little band, mom," He mutters through a bite of garlic bread. 

I nod my head. "Yeah, I was supposed to meet him today but things fell through, I guess."

"How's your band coming along? You guys also performing in the talent show coming up?" She's really good at keeping a conversation going. It's impressive, honestly. 

"We are, yeah. I think we're going to perform a song that Eddie wrote," She knits her eyebrows together when I remember she doesn't know who Eddie is. "He's our drummer."

Her face lights up and she points a fork at Rodrick. "Like Rodrick?" I notice him stiffen up a bit as I nod my head. "You've never mentioned an Eddie, before. I figured you'd be close to another drummer." His jaw becomes clenched. 

"Eddie's alright," Is all he responds with. 

The panicked voice from the news channel makes me look back over at it. Everyone else at the table seems to do the same. 

"Frank," Susan says tiredly. "Please shut that off. It's too sad for a dinner setting," She states as the headline pops up at the bottom of the screen. 

"NO!" I cry out as Frank goes to grab the remote to shut it off. I practically fly out of my chair as I read the headline at the bottom of the screen. He drops the remote back on the couch in confusion. 

WRECK ON THE HIGHWAY BACKS UP TRAFFIC; UNKNOWN FATALITIES

There's some kind of hovering camera that's flying over some kind of crash sight. I hear something buzzing in my pocket. I whip out my phone, flip up the top and see Eddie's name in pixilated letters on the screen. 

That's when the camera pans to a picture of a completely demolished red truck. I knew that truck anywhere. 

The news switches to a person standing at the sight of the wreck. The woman is wearing dressy streetwear as she stands with a microphone. Behind her, there is a metal railing that looks completely torn open. As if a car has completely blown through it. 

"Witnesses have said that the Red 1986 Chevrolet Truck swerved, for what seems like no apparent reason, and crashed through the protective railing of the highway." The woman moves to the side to reveal even more of the railing. "Currently, law enforcement is trying to identify the victim in the crash. As far as we can see, there was only one person in the vehicle at the time of the wreck."