My morning started off great by almost getting run over

"Who names their kid Heffley?"

The alarm I'd been dreading ever since I'd set it finally went off. I knew if I didn't get up now, then Cliff would come in and throw a pillow at me. 

I groaned as I flung my feet off the side of the bed, letting my feet touch the cold wooden floor before walking to the bathroom. 

My tired reflection stared back at me and I realized that I forgot to wipe my makeup off last night so the black eyeliner was smeared halfway down my cheeks. 

The first thing I did was wash my face, getting all the old makeup off before replacing it with new eyeliner, trying my best to get the wings even but giving up on my second try. I brushed my teeth and put some spray in my hair to hopefully keep it unfrizzy all day. 

I walked to my closet and picked out my favorite pair of cargo jeans along with a grey tank top. I pulled on a tan jacket and some reeboks before looking in the full body mirror hanging on the back of the closet door. 

I layered some necklaces on and slid some rings on my fingers before feeling complete. I grabbed my bag full of empty notebooks and started to make my way down the four flights of stairs. 

As usual, Cliff was downstairs before me, eating breakfast. At home, we always had cereal but today there were pancakes with strawberries. 

It didn't take Heather long to come down the stairs and sit next to me and Cliff at the counter. "That's what you decided to wear?" She raised an eyebrow.

Before I could respond, my aunt cut in. "Heather, be nice, please." That was the first time I think Hailey's put Heather in her place for the few days we've been here. Heather looked shocked for a moment before clenching her jaw and going back to eating. 

Once we were done, Heather, Cliff, and I all loaded into a perfectly polished white minivan that had to have been new. Heather was driving. Her parents waved us goodbye and wished us good luck on our first day of school and Heather good luck with the new semester. 

If I'm being honest, the timing was perfect. I'd much rather transfer schools right as the new semester starts than right in the middle of it. 

"I never drive a minivan anywhere so you two better be glad I'm doing this." She smacked her gum on the roof of her mouth. 

I so badly wanted to tell her we could've taken any other car because we were three people and every car had at least four seats. I kept my mouth shut. 

Katy Perry blasted out of the speakers as we pulled up to the school. It was huge. Much bigger than the school I used to go to. 

"I would show you around but I have people to see so good luck!" She waves goodbye with her painted fingernails, leaving me and Cliff alone in a busy parking lot. 

He scoffs before smiling larger. "We'll be fine," He assures me and I just nod. 

Right as we are about to cross the street to get to the school, Cliff yanks me back as a white van comes tearing through the street, blasting rock music. Some kind of black words were painted on the side but I didn't get a good enough look to read it. I shook it off, cursing under my breath as I followed Cliff into school. 

Teachers were littered throughout the halls, no doubt there to direct people to their classes. I walk up to a lady in a yellow cardigan. 

"Hey, how can I help?" She asks. I turn around to see if Cliff is still with me but I couldn't see him so I focus my attention back on her. 

"I'm actually new here so I need a schedule," I have to speak loudly over all the people yelling. 

"Follow me, new students have their schedules here." She walks me to a little table scattered with papers in alphabetical order. I scan carefully for the P's until I find my name. I pull it out and show it to her. 

She nods and points down a hall. "You have history first, it's down that hall on the left." I thanked her before turning around. Once I was in the hall, it wasn't hard to find the class since it had a giant picture of the Earth on the dark wood door. I walk in and see the class about half full.

"Name," The lady says in a passive-aggressive tone, looking down at her roster. 

"Y/N," I say, matching her energy. If she's gonna be a bitch so will I. 

"Y/N..." She mutters at my last name. "How do you say it?"

This happens once a year. "Pawn-see-a." 

She raises an eyebrow at me. "Sounds French." She shrugs and looks back down. 

"It is." 

She points a pencil that's she's been holding in her holding at a seat in the far back of the class. The best seat in the class. 

I set my stuff down and watch from my corner as the people file into the class. Including Heather. I don't think she sees me since she's seated at the completely opposite side of the class. She and her friends talk in a hushed whisper but somehow still manages to make it so everyone can hear her. 

Right as the bell rings, one last person runs through the door. "You can't count me late," He exasperated. "I was here before the bell."

She glares at him through her rectangular glasses. "I'll do whatever I please, Heffley," She snarks back. "The last seat back there is yours." When the boy comes closer, he becomes familiar. He's the boy from the store Heather and I went to. 

He sits down without sparing me a glance. I'm not sure why I expected him to. He was too focused on Heather. That one interaction was the only thing I needed to see to know that he was down bad for her. 

Who names their kid Heffley?

The class went by quickly since it was just introductory things. Luckily, this woman didn't seem to care about us that much so we didn't have to say any facts about ourselves. 

My other classes went by slower as well. After history, I went to an AP Language class then lunch. Cliff texted me and told me that he'd made some friends that he was going to sit with and that I was welcome to join but I didn't want to be the annoying younger sister even though it was just a year difference. I found a table in the library and listened to some music for the hour-long lunch. After that, I went to some woodworking class then P.E. At my old school we only had to take P.E once for the year but here you have to take it all year for all four years. 

The nasty smell of deodorant and perfume mixed with sweat never fails to be worse each time. 

A few minutes before dismissal, my phone buzzes in my pocket, and I take it out. 

Bandkid: my friends offered to drive me home so i didn't have to go with heather. you're coming.

I gave in and told him I'd go too. I'm not sure why exactly we didn't take Cliff's truck to school today but whatever. 

When we were released, I met Cliff in the cafeteria where he told me to wait for him. Trailing behind him were two dudes that dressed almost exactly like how we did. I never wore a beanie though, and they both were. 

"This is Ben and Aiden," Cliff says, pointing to the boys. "They're also in a band."

"Oh sweet," I say to them. They nod nonchalantly but I knew it made them feel cool. "What's it called?" I ask.

They look to each other as if they've been waiting for the question before yelling "LODED DIPER!" In unison. It wipe the shocked look off my face before they can notice. 

"Speaking of," The one named Aiden said. "We're going to meet up with the rest of them after school. You two wanna come?" I looked at Cliff. 

"Yeah, we're down," He responds for me.