Only cool people have a rack full of CDs in their room

"Seems kind of like jealously to me..."

The next day of school, Rodrick still refused to take back his jacket. 

"I already have one on," He said while pointing to his black and white checkered jacket. It ended out working fine since it got really windy outside later in the day. 

I got into Cliff truck after school today before asking whether or not we were going to Rodrick's after school. Our bands were both signing up to perform in the Plainview Talent Show. Loded Diper just got a new guitarist and we wanted to see if he was any good.  

"Sorry," He says quietly. "I'll drop you off there but I have to go do something, though."

I squinted my eyes at him as he started to drive. He never did this. He never dips like this and then doesn't tell me why. I wanted to ask why but something in my gut told me there was a reason he didn't specify. 

He took my silence as an agreement as we turn into Rodrick's neighborhood. 

"Let me know if he's any good," Cliff says as he puts his truck into park. I nod my head in agreement as I move to get out of the car. "Wait," He continues before I can leave. He takes off a necklace that I've never seen without him before. He made it when we were kids in our kitchen. He melted a fork and warped it into a weird shape around a chain that he beaded with eight fake pearls. Four on each side of the fork. 

I take it hesitantly. "Why are you giving this to me?"

He shrugs. "Just felt like it."

"Cliff," My tone drops. "Are you alright?"

He nods his head and waves his hand in dismissal. "Yeah, of course. Just got something to take care of." I knew it was a lie. "Love you, Y/N," Was the last thing he said before I headed towards the music room.

"Love you too," I respond. 

I watch as his truck pulls away and I walk down the path. I pull open the door, the familiar smell of wood and pretzels greeting me. 

Rodrick is already there but I didn't see the rest of his band or my band. 

"Where is everyone?" I question as I close the door behind me, decreasing the light in the room significantly. 

He looks up at me from his drums. "Oh, they all canceled," He said nonchalantly.

Suddenly, I feel out of place as I stand there. I jab a thumb at the door. "I can leave too if that-"

He cuts me off quickly. "No, my moms already somehow found out that it would be just you today. She wants you to eat dinner with us," He said it as if it were a chore. 

"Oh," I mutter. 

"We can go ahead up there since we can't exactly do anything down here." I agree with a nod and I follow him up the stairs. 

A commotion floods the room. There's a baby throwing food off the counter. Susan frantically picks up the falling fruit while the dad sits in a chair reading a magazine. He looks up when he sees up walk in. He folds the black and white paper and places it on the table. 

"Rodrick, take her upstairs. We'll call you two down for dinner," He says as if he's helping the situation with the baby. 

Rodrick nods quickly and tilts his head in a direction for me to follow him. I felt bad for not even saying hi but there wasn't really a moment to. I wonder if they noticed I had Rodrick's jacket on. I hope not. 

We walk up two flights of stairs until we enter the attack. 

"Your room is in the attic?" I ask while looking around at the bare wood ceiling.