That feeling when your music is popular but only in Belgium

"She's just so... and you're... well, you."

*I added an extra part to the last chapter. It's not too important but it felt awkward if I left it out* (3/23/22)

The second day of school is always the worst. If you haven't made any friends by the second day of school, you basically won't have any the rest of the year. You start learning shit on the second day too. 

That's exactly how my second day went. The only difference is, Rodrick would keep turning around in his seat to talk to me during history. 

"What did you write down for the notes?" He asked as he already started looking at my paper. "I'm going to write it down even though it doesn't make sense," He assures me as if I really cared. 

He turned around a few minutes later as the teacher turned on some kind of video. "Why don't you and Heather talk?" He asked, mentioning how Heather and I have barely even looked at each other even though we're in the same class. Part of me wanted to tell him Heather was a bitch but I didn't want him to think I'm a bitch for thinking his crush is a bitch. 

I look over at her as if it would give me an answer. "Probably becau-"

"Y/N and Rodrick," The teacher pauses the video and stares directly at us. "This is the third time I've told you two to stop talking. If it happens again, you're being moved." Rodrick turns around, back towards the screen, and slumps down in his chair. If I get in trouble for this, I'm blaming Rodrick. 

Five minutes before class was over, everyone started to pack up. I only had a notebook and a pencil out so it didn't take a whole five minutes. 

Rodrick slings his backpack over his shoulder before turning around in his chair to face me again. "No way you two are related."

I sigh a laugh. "You're still on this topic?" I respond. 

"She's just so..." He looks at her from across the room, his eyes becoming soft before they turn to me. "And you're... well, you."

"Thanks, Rodrick," I press my lips into a firm line and stand up, him copying me, pushing in his chair. 

His eyes drift back to her across the room and watched as she clutched her notebooks to her stomach, laughing along with her friends. 

I walk up to him right before the bell rings. "Good luck with that," I give him a pat on his shoulder. The soft smile falls from his face as he processes what I'd said and started to walk away. 

"Wait," He takes a few fast steps to catch up to me as he starts walking in time with me. "You know Heather, you're living with her. Maybe you can tell me what she likes and stuff?"

I look at him sideways. "You want me to give you advice to get cousin's pants?" He looks at me, waiting for an answer. "No." My voice was more bitter than I meant it to be. "She doesn't like anything but herself," I finished before walking off to my next class. 

After school, Cliff was waiting for me by his truck. We learned from yesterday that it's best if we drive ourselves in the morning so our mood isn't immediately murdered because of Heather. 

"Hey," He says, hopping off the back of his truck. "I got my band to agree to work with Loded Diper tonight so we're all gonna have a jam session. You in?" I nod happily.

Cliff's band was my favorite thing in the world. All of the people in it are either Seniors in high school or Freshmen in college. I've known them for as long as Cliff's known them which has been since middle school. When you live in a small town, it's hard to lose contact with people.