WTF is the difference between a flannel and plaid?

"There are a few people who go to my school who are in a band. They're always the weird ones."

I finished stuffing all my clothes in one last suitcase and zipped it shut, shifting it on its wheels. I stared at my room. All the things were still taped and hung on my wall but it felt empty. Probably because it was. 

Five suitcases, two boxes, and three smaller bags littered my hallway. 

My parents were going on vacation for the entirety of the second semester of school plus summer. Literally, who does that? 

They've been talking about going on a trip like that for a while though, so I'm really not surprised. They've always been excited about road tripping their way across the U.S since they got married. But then my mom had my brother. I came a year later. 

Not sure why they couldn't wait two more years for the two of us to graduate to leave but props to them, I guess. They left earlier this morning.

A gentle knock comes from my door. I tell my brother to come in. 

"You almost ready to go?" Cliff asks, brushing some of his shaggy long hair out of his face. I nod. "I've got my stuff in the truck already, you need help with yours?" I nod thankfully and we carry out my stuff.

After stuffing the last bag into the bed of the red truck, I get in the shotgun. The engine rumbles beneath us as the old car sputters to life. I take one last look at our blue house before I can no longer see it behind the oak trees. 

For the next eight months, we're going to be staying at our cousin's house. They're my mom's side of the family. The Hills. Heather, Holly, and Hanna. Heather is the same age as me and we were close when we were kids but things changed as she got older, richer, popular. I guess it's not really the fact that she got rich but the fact that she became so stuck up. 

It was about a thirty-minute drive till we arrived at their house. It was giant. Made of white brick with black wood shutters that surrounded the windows. 

Cliff pulls into the driveway and our Aunt and Uncle come prancing off the porch, dressed in nice clothes like they always were. You wouldn't catch either of them dead in a pair of jeans. Uncle Jonathon and Aunt Hailey. 

Cliff puts on a smile as he shakes our uncle's hand. Hailey comes running up to me, her teeth practically as white as snow. Her blonde hair was in perfect curls like she just had a blowout done. 

"How are you, dear?" She asks excitedly. 

"Good, good," I respond through the hug that knocks the wind out of me. Her hands are cold as she grabs my hands. 

She nods and turns to her husband. "Get their bags out, Jonathan. I'm sure they're tired from their trip." It was thirty minutes, but I wasn't about to complain. "Let's go inside, shall we?" 

It wasn't really a question. We follow her up the even cobblestone path to the large double doors that lead inside. 

It's been a while since I've been here but not long enough to not remember how massive their entire house was. 

Our Uncle starts to place a few bags inside before going back out to grab more. 

"Both of your rooms will be on the fourth floor. It's a small floor but there are two rooms, both with bathrooms attached to them, with a small living area. We have it all set up for you. As for the rooms, you can decide who gets which one." My jaw wanted to drop at the fact that they consider that small. And that they have a fourth floor.

Once all of our bags were brought inside, Hailey told him to bring all of them to the fourth floor. He looked exhausted, rightfully. 

That's when Cliff stepped in. "Y/N and I will help you." I nodded in agreement and grabbed onto a few bags that were mine.