04 | don't talk to him

"i hate gilbert blythe

"i hate gilbert blythe."

A week has passed since the sisters started school. It was going well for Anne - she become friends with the fours girl she met on the first day, is already in the top five of the class, and is on Mr. Phillips' good side. Aliya, on the other hand, has made no new relationships, is on the teacher's bad side, but she is tied with the top student in the class. She doesn't understand how her younger sister is doing well, but not her. Maybe it's a personality issue? Whatever it is, she pushes it pass her and goes on with her day.

Aliya woke up bright and early to watch the sunrises from her window, plus it's a magnificent spot to continue reading a new copy of Little Women. Reading about how these young women are placed in the world and the development about their lives fascinated the girl. She did, however, doubt she would ever marry. Although Jo's marriage was something she thought she had to do to have some sort of place in the world, she found someone who was somewhat supportive and cared for the girl. Unlike Aliya, she was stuck being the freak while everyone else gets to live happily and have a chance of courting in their near future. It broke the young girl's heart, but she already knew dying alone was dawned to happen.

After an hour of reading, Aliya hears foot steps coming towards her room. When she looked up, she saw Marilla standing at the door way.

"Your sister is ill and will not be attending school today. Now, hurry up and get ready. You do not want to be late." Is all she said, before walking away from the door frame. Aliya sighed and closed the book. She stood up from her spot and walked over to her mirror, staring at her reflection. This has become a daily morning routine for her. She'd get out of bed, read a book by the window while the sun was rising, then look at herself. Her self confidence was getting lower and lower by the day. She couldn't help but feel insecure. Moving away from the mirror, she stripped off her night gown and put on her freshly cleaned one. The beige color did not compliment her pale, light skin, but she was grateful she had something that actually fit her. She slid on her boots and brush through her hair before heading downstairs.

Walking to school this morning was peaceful, for the most part. Listening to the birds sing, watching the wildlife traveling pass the trail. It was relaxing. Aliya hit the half way mark when she found herself getting pushed down to the ground. Not again, she thought.

"Where's your sister at, freak? I thought she would be walking with ya." The voice said. The girl turned her head and saw Billy Andrews towering over her. She adjusted her position to be facing him and looked him dead in the eyes.

"That's none of your concern, Andrews. Now, I have a question for you: Why are you always trying to get a rise out of me when you know you're not going to get it?" Aliya asked with a sarcastic tone. This obviously upset the boy. The sour look on his face said it all. He quickly bent down and grabbed both of her arms.