08 | digging for the truth

"the truth will come out eventually

"the truth will come out eventually."

Aliya was up before sunrise, reading "Sex Slavery," waiting for the bright light to come out from it's sleep. It had been an odd summer with her sister. Doing chores, visiting friends, and living with two grown men who are doing research on their land, it was unlike any other she's had, but she enjoyed it. Once the sun had rise, the girl put on her day time attire and set out on a new adventure. Anne has went on a few with her, but spent most of her time with Diana. Aliya didn't mind traveling alone, it gave her a peace of mind.

She traveled through the field and admired the flowers and the multiple butterflies gazing around. The thought of nature being this beautiful astounded the girl. While in the orphange, she never had the opportunity to see the gorgeous outer world. It was free and brighter than it is inside. Skipping around the the trees and crossing creeks on branches, the girl grew happiness within her envirnoment and hoped that nothing would change this.

"Oh Matthew, I've had the best afternoon." The girl said to him while walking up to the home. "Can you imagine all the trees, flowers, and creatures on the island? It's an amazing sight to see. It's a breath of fresh air. I don't think I've ever felt this free in my life." Aliya continued. Matthew looked at the girl with a smile on his face, pleased that the girl was enjoying herself. She walked by him and walked in the house to get cleaned up before supper. The girl saw Mr. Dunlop helping Marilla cook dinner and passed them to walk up stairs.

After she changed into a clean dress and put her hair up in a bun, she ran down stairs to help Anne set up the table. The girl has yet to see Nate since she has been home, but he was probably out in the field. She didn't trust the man in the slightest, as if he was up to no good and going to cause chaos in the community. Aliya had to wait and see what the man was going to do.

Dinner was done as soon as everything was set and everyone, besides Nate, was sitting at the table. A few minutes has passed and he finally came in to join the household for the meal. Aliya will admit, the man looked as if he has been working hard, but she knew deep down it was an act. She felt as if she had to walk around him on her toes. He sat down at the table and took off his hat.

"My apologizes. I'm sorry I'm late." Nate said. "I got lost in my work, again. Please don't hold it against me." He finished. Aliya rolled her eyes and decided to dig right into the food in front of her, not wanting to wait for him to finish talking. Eveytime she heard his voice, it was as if the devil was speaking. Not long after, everyone else started eating and conversating with in each other. Anne was going on about what her and Diana did, Matthew was saying something about having to go to town to pick up some things, and Mr. Dunlop was asking Nate about how things were going. Aliya stayed silent. She wanted to eat her supper and leave as soon as possible.

Anne was caught in Nate's room this morning and he was not happy about it. However, he lent the young girl a book to read and had her leave the room. Aliya was laying in her bed, reading her book, when she heard talking coming from her window. She couldn't hear was being said, so she went over to sit in the chair beside it and listened closely to what was being said.

"Today's the day, yes?" A voice asked.

"Today's the day. Finally. Time to bait the hook." The other voiced replied.

"Love me some full pockets look to spend." Aliya peaked down to where the people were talking and saw Nate, along with Dunlop. Her eyes widened and she backed away from the sight she just saw. The girl knew something was up with Nate, but the other one? She was surprised. He was such a nice guy, but apparently he's just really good at acting. Aliya needed to tell someone, this couldn't be forgotten. However, she knew that Marilla nor Matthew would believe her. They both have known how the girl felt about one of the men and wouldn't listen to a word she said.

After thinking few a moment, she walked back over to the window and saw that both of them were gone, walking toward their "worksite" to probably talk about their plan some more. Aliya decided to ignore for now and went to go help Jerry with the work in the barn.

Today the Cuthberts chose to go to the beach along the coast. Anne was excited about finally being able to go swimming. Once they all got there, the younger sibling hopped out of the carriage and ran straight to the water, while stripping off her dress. Aliya laughed at the girl and got off to go lay out her blanket to sit on. Marilla and Matthew did the same, making sure to keep an eye on Anne. A few minutes after setting up, Mr. Cuthbert decided to join the girl in the water and splashed around in the ocean for a while.

"Why don't you join them, Aliya? Every time we go somewhere, you're either reading or writing." Marilla said to the girl who had her focus in a book. Aliya looked over at the woman and smiled. She didn't say anything and continued on with her book. Marilla never understood the girl, but knew she was going to be a very successful woman.

They've been by the water most of the day and eventually left once the sun started to set. While traveling their way back home, Aliya admired the color changing sky, along with the light wind hitting her face. The feeling did make her feel as if something was missing from this moment, but she brushed it off and enjoyed nature surrounding her.

Diana, Ruby, Anne, and Aliya met up in their hut in the middle of the woods for writing club. Ruby would not stop talking about Gilbert being gone, which made Aliya's stomach turn into a knot, and Diana kept arguing with her that the boy will come back sooner than she thought. Anne tried changing the topic, but it would not change, no matter how hard she tried. That's when the older sister had to step in.

"Gilbert will come back once he is ready. He needs time for himself and he wants to travel. Let him do what he thinks is right in his life. Anyway, I think we should all write a story and send them to Mrs. Josephine. Maybe she would like to read some of them." The girl said, making the others quiet. Anne agreed with the idea and started listing idea to the two girls on what they would write. Aliya already knew what she was going to write: the two men who cried wolf.

After a few hours of writing, the girls decided to head home, except for Anne. She said she wanted to visit Mrs. Lynde, which was odd for her, but Aliya didn't question it.

Everyone in town was cramped in the town hall, waiting for some sort of announcement and Aliya could probably guess what it was. Rachel was walking around, trying to calm everyone down so they could be ready for what was about to come. It took a few minutes before anything could be said, but once Nate walked out from behind the curtains, that's when the real fun begin.

"I have here a certificate I recieved in the mail from New York. This Soils Report certifies that there is indeed... gold in Avonlea." The moment those words came out of his mouth, everyone was frozen in shock, except for Aliya. "I mentioned I had taken this action earlier to William Barry. Each landowner would send in a sample of their soil to New York for testing. Now, I warn you, it's expensive." Aliya finally put together all the puzzle pieces and figured out what their plan is. They're going to take all the money they can get from these people.

That's not going to happen while she was there.