21 | believe in what's right

"feminism at it's finest

"feminism at it's finest."

Aliya had trouble sleeping the week after the fair. The only thing playing through her mind is the conversation she had with Billy in front of everyone in town. She knew shouldn't let this slip by people's minds and needed to put it out in the open. Around two in morning, the girl was rewriting the Avonlea gazette, putting her two cents in the newly written article about sexual harassment and women having rights of their own. It took her hours on end writing and pressing all the new papers for church later on that morning. At five, she was running toward the front porch of the building everyone would be at in a few hours time. She placed the stack of fresh newspapers next to door and hurried home, hoping neither Matthew nor Marilla were awake to see that the red head had snuck out.

Once she walked through the front door quietly, she was happy to see she had not been caught and can go upstairs to catch up on some sleep she hasn't had in a while. Walking up the stairs and into her room, she was startled to see her sister sitting on her bed, arms crossed and a confused emotion on her face.

"Never, in my life, have I seen you leave somewhere without telling an adult. What were you doing, that was so important, that you couldn't even both to tell me?" Anne asked in a stern tone. Aliya rolled her eyes and sat next to the girl on the bed. She looked down at her lap in defeat and let out a deep sigh.

"I was rewriting our paper. Before you say anything, I know it is wrong, but I needed to do it. I couldn't sleep a night remembering what happened that night in the barn. It wasn't okay and justice needs to be serve." The girl started to explain with her sister listening carefully. "I'm sure you'll enjoy what I wrote. There were no listed name, I just stated my feelings on the topic just so people can hear my voice and read it." Anne sighed and pulled her sister in a hug.

"I believe you." She said before pulling away. "I can't wait to read it. Now, go to sleep. I'll tell Marilla you weren't feeling well this morning and can't come to church, okay?" The young sister said, with a smile on her face. Aliya nodded and watched as she walked out the room, allowing her to lay down and close her eyes.

"Account for yourself!" Marilla yelled at the girl still laying in bed, later on after church. Aliya sat up in her bed and looked at the woman. As she had just woken up, it was still a daze to her that the woman was angry at something the girl did.

"I'm... sorry?" She asked, confused on why the woman was mad at her. Marilla's face expressed disappointment and anger, which caught the girl's attention the moment she saw it.

"Your article! Or perhaps manifesto would be a better word." Marilla answered, angry with the girl in front of her. Aliya watched as Anne walked in the room with a smile on her face, happy for her sister standing up for what was right. The girl smiled back at her sister, knowing that she had someone's support.