09 | something is missing

"missing something that i didn't know i missed

"missing something that i didn't know i missed."

It's been a mess since the whole town heard that there could be gold in their own back yards. Aliya didn't like to see the conundrum that the two men have brought, but knew she had to let it play out. No one would listen to what she had heard from them and had to watch everyone give their money to these foul people. Her sister didn't sleep a wink last night, excited about the false reality of what is to come. Anne kept bothering Nate about the discovery and all the "plans" he had for their small community. He was feeding into her curiosity and told her what she wanted to hear. Aliya despised the man for manipulating the young girl, but she was oblivious to it.

Aliya was down stairs, helping Marilla set up the table with Mr. Dunlop. They were discussing the gold rush going on and she couldn't help but roll her eyes. The red head wanted this all to be over, but understood it was going to take time until everyone figures out the truth. The thicker man did not seem as bad as Aliya thought, however. She felt as if he was just going on with the other's plan and couldn't argue with him, due to his stubbornness. The household was called down to breakfast and they quickly did a prayer so they can begin eating.

"Matthew, I'd like to do the extractions for you. Happy to do you that favor. Let's be sure this is done right. Hmm?" Nate said to the man at the end of the table. He looked as if he was unsure that the man was being serious about this and just shook his head while pouring his milk. Aliya took note of this and took a bite out of her toast.

"There will be no gold testing." Marilla said. This took the girl by surprise and looked at the woman in curiousity. Was she too worried that this was just a ploy for the men? If so, Aliya was happy to see someone else could see through these two's lies. Dunlop and Nate glanced at each other. "At least not yet. Matthew and I still are undecided."

"But you have to! We could be one of the richest families in Avonlea. Matthew wouldn't have to farm anymore and you could do any-" Anne stopped once she felt Aliya's hand land on her shoulder. The younger sibling looked over at her as she was shaking her head. The older girl looked a Marilla and nodded her head.

"If Marilla and Matthew are not wanting to do the testing at the moment, they don't have to. It is their land after all, they get to make the decisions." Aliya said before taking another bite of her breakfast. The two men looked at the girl with a sharp eye, almost as if they were telling her to keep quiet. Marilla nodded her head and began eating. The rest of breakfast was quiet, not another word was spoken.

Aliya, Anne, and Diana arrived at school and noticed Cole sitting by himself, drawing in his book. The girl liked the energy Cole gave off and he seemed to be a nice boy. Anne and Diana went to off to their group of friends while Aliya went to go sit by the boy, until she heard Billy Andrews yell something out to him.

"Hey, Cole, throw the ball back, bud." He yelled out to Cole, who was focusing on his sketch book. When Billy saw that he was ignoring his calls, he yelled out again. "Hey, sissy!" Cole finally looked up from his book and saw who was trying to get his attention. "Yeah, you!" Billy motioned open his glove and Cole just looked down at the ball. Aliya rolled her eyes and walked over to pick it up her self. Once she did, she turned around towards Billy and threw it.