Chapter 9 - The Panda Hustle

I can't believe we're really doing this! It was just the four of us in Pearson Middle School. Lucky for us, there's only one classroom that nobody has been using. We tried to bring everything that involves our best hustle yet. Mei got a video camera with her. Abby have to get a drink from the Daisy Mart. She seems to have a nice chat with Devon. Abby shares her Daisy Mart visit with us. She smiles. I have to ask her. I was confident. "So, how do you go with him huh?" I wondered. Abby eyed both ways. It was just me and her. She encounters me. "Just between you and me." Abby whispers. She frowns. Abby shook her head. She gestured a thumbs down. I was unanticipated of her reply. I had to try to understand Abby. I shrugged. "Why?" I inquired. She was not happy. "All he could talk about is his stupid remarks for working overtime instead of other things." Abby bickered. She argues herself in Korean. I effort my question to her again. "Abby, did you ask Devon why he's working longer shifts?" I wondered. She just blew herself a slight raspberry. "He told me it's a guy thing." Abby replied. I'm actually glad we're done looking at Devon at the Daisy Mart. We had better off with our favorite 4-Town boys.

It was May 2nd, 2002.

We were at the front door of the isolated classroom. Room 202. Mei was setting up her video camera. I became curious at it. "Is it on?" I asked. She gives me a thumbs up. I have gestured myself a double peace in front of the camera. Man, this is gonna be awesome.

Mei was playing camerawoman for awhile. Me, Abby and Priya are celebrating for our first 4-Town concert coming soon. I was being silly. Abby was psyched. Priya pulled out algebra books and other school supplies. She was dumping some stuff from her backpack. Everything we gathered was on the desks.

Abby spits out her drink away from me. Well it's because I got pink bubblegum stuck to my braces. I made the nom sounds in front of the camera.

Mei became determined. "Guys, grab your notebook and a pen. We've got strategizing to do." She told us.

Me, Abby and Priya got our own notebook and a pen.

Mei pretends to be a leader. She was serious. "Alright troops, listen up." Mei said.

Abby was mischievous. She turned on the projector machine.

Mei got her long wooden baton. She traces the title. "Operation; 4-Town Shakedown is about to commence." Mei uttered.

Me, Abby and Priya are prepared to take notes. We are so onto the first and best hustle in our school.

Mei goes to her presentation by projector. Abby switches some slides for the certain steps. Mei starts her public speaking. "4-Town is coming to the SkyDome. We have over two weeks to go to the concert. That's on Saturday, May 18th. Our goal; We need four tickets. That's about eight hundred bucks. Step one; Neutralize the Empress. Step two; Spread the Word. And step three; hustle the panda and squeeze every last loonie out to those kids." She announced to us.

Me, Abby and Priya wrote everything that Mei told us. If we're all going to stick around after middle school, I raised my left hand for that matter. I was so stern. "I say we should tell our parents that we're having the Mathletes." I suggested. Abby and Priya agrees with me.

Mei liked my decision. "And that's we are going to do next, Mir." She said. Mei detects my left arm is still up. She had to ask me. Mei seems aware. "What is it, Miriam?" Mei wondered. I sighed. I was considering about my parents. I was solemn. "I need to call my mom and dad first." I answered. I put my left arm down. Mei acknowledged me. "Okay, Mir. Just be quick about it." She said. I left Room 202 to go for the school phone.

I went walking in the school hallway. I have reached out for the green school phone. I picked up the receiver. I dialed my home phone number. I even had a receiver next to my left ear. I was only anxious about my mom and dad. I know they want me home after school. Yet, will they let me stay in Pearson Middle School a little longer? I waited for my mom or my dad to pick it up. It was ringing. Probably a few times. After the fifth ring, I got an answer.