16

I watch as Octavia walks outside of camp with Jasper, as someone who's keeping guard I can't allow anyone to just roam outside of camp. I walk up to them. I clear my throat, Jasper jumps slightly before I calm him down and put my hand on his shoulder.

"Sorry Jasper, hey Octavia. You're not supposed to leave." I tell her. She groans, oh no. I could already guess what her reply was before she even said it.

"Stop pleasing my brother." I scoff. "Besides, we're not even going that far. I just want Jasper to be over his fears."

"I get that, but-" Jasper falls, in front of him two fingers and a knife. I get closer, looking down at the disgusting things. Without saying much else, we get back to camp, getting the stuff and immediately going to Bellamy and Clarke.

"This knife was made of metal from the dropship." Clarke says, inspecting the weapon we found next to Wells fingers.

"What do you mean?" Jasper asks, innocently.

"Who else knows about this?" Bellamy asks.

"No one. We brought it straight here." Octavia answers. I nod, confirming her answer while Bellamy still doesn't look me in the eye.

"It means the Grounders didn't kill Wells. It was one of us."

"I think I'm getting sick." I say, looking down. Who would do something like that?

"So there's a murderer in the camp?" Jasper asks, looking down too.

"There's more than one murderer in this camp." Bellamy admits. "This isn't news. Keep it quiet." Clarke walks towards the door but he blocks her.

"Get out of my way." She hisses.

"Be smart about this." He replies. "Look at what we've achieved. The wall, the patrols. Like it or not but thinking the Grounders killed Wells is good for us."

"Oh good for you, you mean." Clarke replies, I frown. "What, keep people afraid and they'll work for you? Is that it?"

"Yeah, that's it." Bellamy admits. "But it's good for all of us. Fear of the Grounders is building that wall. Besides, what are you gonna do? Just ask the killer to step forward? You don't even know who's knife that is."

"Oh really?" Clarke asks, showing him it. "J.M. John Murphy." My mind goes blank, did he? I think back to the conversation I had with him the night Wells was killed. He lost his knife.

I follow Clarke outside quickly, watching how she confronts John. Oh shit!

"Where you dropped it after you killed Wells." I push her away.

"Clarke he didn't do it." She pushes me out of the way. "Clarke listen to me! I talked to him that night, he lost his knife. He didn't kill Wells."

"What if he lied to you, huh? Ever thought about that? That's all he has done so far, lying!" Clarke replies. I look at John his face tells me enough. He did not kill Wells.

"Bellamy, you really believe this crap?" John asks, looking over at the guy that doesn't move. John's face falls for a moment.

"You threatened to kill him. We all heard you." Clarke says. "You hated Wells."

"Plenty of people hated Wells." John defends. "His father was the chancellor that locked us up."

"Yeah but you're the only one that got in a fight with him."

"Yeah, I didn't kill him then, either."

"Sure, but he didn't kill Wells. Believe me Clarke, he was my friend too, and I want to find the killer as much as you but it wasn't John!" I tell her.

"Then who did?" I stop, my thoughts run back to the night it happened. Charlotte. I find her in the crowd, she avoids my eye contact. That little bitch.

"Bellamy, look I'm telling you, man. I didn't do this." John says.

"They found his fingers on the ground with your knife." Bellamy replies.

"Is this the kind of society we want?" Clarke asks, looking around. "You sau there should be no rules. Does that mean we can kill each other without punishment?"

"I already told you, I didn't kill anyone."

"I say we float him." Someone says, more people agree. John looks at me, I shake my head. There's nothing I can do. I don't even know if it really was Charlotte.

"That's not what I'm saying." Clarke reasons.

"Why not? He deserves to float. It's justice."

"Revenge isn't justice."

"It's justice, float him!" People start cheering, punching John down to the ground. "Wait! I say we float her too!" He points at me. "She defends a murderer." I shake my head, getting pushed down too, somebody grabs my hair, pulling me up the hill.

I scream, my hands getting tied up, tears blocking my vision but I can just see how two robes hang over a branch. The end of it wraps around my throat, I get lifted a box placed underneath my feet. I look in the crowd, I see Monty who has tears in his eyes while trying to push his way through. Oh shit, not like this!

Jasper and Monty try to push their ways through the crowds, the older boys too strong for them to get through. Breathing is hard, my mind racing. From all the ways I could've possibly died this is the way I'm going to?

I look to my left, they have kicked John way more than me. He looks terrible, blood everywhere and his eyes thick and bruised. I tear my eyes away from his sight, hoping that someone stops this, hoping that I won't die.

"Bellamy, you should do it." The boy from earlier says. My heart pounds in my chest, I find Charlotte, and look her straight in the eye. I know what you did. I mouth at her. People start cheering for Bellamy to kick the boxes.

Tears escape my eyes as he walks forward the box soon disappearing from underneath my feet, I scream. My voice hoarse. I squirm against the robes. My breathing cuts off completely, pain shoots through my entire body as I hang.

"Murphy didn't kill Wells!" Charlotte screams. "I did." The robes get cut, I fall to the floor with John next to me. I try to catch my breath, my vision blocking out and everything around me going black.