Chapter 4: The News

(Dipper's POV)

Mabel and I entered the throne room only to see our great uncles having a conversation. They both stop talking as they hear our footsteps approaching.

"Ah there they are my favorite twins: Dylan and Rowena" said Grunkle Stan.

"Dipper" I said.

"Mabel" Mabel said.

"Ha, come on you know I'm only pulling your legs!" Stan said teasingly.

"Oh we know. But you've been using the same joke since we were 12" I said smiling.

"Yep still got it" Stan replied proudly.

Like I mentioned before Stan and his brother Ford we're also twins. You could tell the difference between them since Stan is the one with a sense of humour (not a very good one or appropriate one at times) and Ford was the smart one who usually can't take a joke, also Ford's the King so the crown on his head should give it away. They were both old, looked very identical, wore glasses, and had grey hair.

"So how has your day been so far you two?" Ford asked.

I remembered the incident of this morning.

"Well Mabel had a little too much Smile Dip and Mabel Juice, but we got it under control" I replied.

"That's my girl! Don't let anyone tell you when you've had enough!" Stan cheered at Mabel.

If only he saw how much puke we had to flush down the toilet. Then he wouldn't be cheering.

"*Ahem*" Ford coughed to get our attention. "So now that you two are here let's get down to the reason we called for you"

"So you didn't just miss us?" Mabel joked.

"Dear, we see you all the time" Ford replied

That's an overegeration. We hardly see Ford anymore unless it's dinner. Ford doesn't take anytime to talk to us, in fact this is the most words he's said to us this week.

Stan is actually the one who takes time to see us and talk with us. When we were little and our parents were dead, after Alice got us ready for bed Stan would always be there to tuck us in and read us stories. Stan took care of us when we were hurt or sick. Stan was always there, Ford wasn't. Stan cared, while Ford didn't.

"Anyways back on topic" Ford continued. "You two are the future rulers of this Kingdom. I trust you two are responsible enough?"

He would know if he actually was there for us. But I didn't say this out loud.

"As responsible as we can get" Mabel said.

"Good. Anyways the law clearly states that to rule you two must be married. Especially since you'll automatically get the Kingdom when you turn 18 in your father's will" Ford announced to us.

"WAIT WHAT?!" Mabel and I both yelled at the same time, shocked.

Stan looked uncomfortable like he didn't agree. But he couldn't change he brother's mind.

"Anyways, your 18th birthday is only a few months away. Which is why I already have an appropriate suitor for Dipper-"

"I'LL HAVE TO GET MARRIED IN A FEW MONTHS?! TO WHO?! AND WHAT ABOUT MABEL?" I yelled panicked.

"Please don't interrupt, it's rude. And yes you will marry in a few months. We haven't found anyone for Mabel, but I was thinking about that nice boy Gideon for Mabel-"

"BUT GRUNKLE FORD I CAN'T MARRY HIM. HE'S THE WORST. I CAN'T AND WON'T" Mabel yelled angrily, an emotion I almost never see come from her.

Grunkle Stan looked like he didn't like this anymore than Mabel did. But Ford was King.

"Calm down Mabel, it's not set in stone yet. If we find a better match we will tell you. Now before you rudely interrupted I was about to tell Dipper about his official match. You know your friend from the other Kingdom? Pacifica was it? I figured would be the best match. I talked to the Preston Northwest and he agreed. Think of the great it will do our kingdoms if we unite them" Ford said.

I felt... I felt... Like I was going to throw up. This is awful.

I didn't think it could get worse until... I looked over to Mabel and saw her reaction...

She was pale and on the verge of tears.

I wanted to go to her and hug her telling her it would all be ok. But Ford's watching gaze kept me frozen. All I could do is watch and listen.

But I can't allow this. I have to try and do something.

I then tried to do something stupid, something I've never done before: stand up to Ford.

"Gr-Grunkle F-ford you c-an't allow t-this. Pacifica is my f-friend..." I stuttered. I look over to Mabel and take a deep breath trying to calm down. "She's our friend. I can't marry her"

"Dipper it's the law. And it's better since you all are friends so you'll get along. I'm sure you'll learn to love her"

"BUT YOUR THE KING, CAN'T YOU CHANGE THE LAW AND GIVE US MORE TIME?! CAN'T YOU GIVE US A CHOICE TO WHO WE MARRY?! I screamed at him.

"No buts now, my word is final. And stop your screaming and complaining. Be thankful that out of the bottom of my heart I have found you a great match and have taken care of you for so long" Ford replied coldly.

"YOU'VE NEVER CARED FOR US! YOU'VE NEVER LOVED US PROPERLY! YOU ARE DOING THIS BECAUSE YOU ARE SELFISH AND DON'T CARE ABOUT OUR FEELINGS! WE ARE HUMANS AND SHOULD BE FREE TO DO AND BE WHAT WE LIKE!!"

I didn't say that... I look over to realise that it was Mabel who said it this time. She was now angry and crying at the same time.

Grunkle Ford looked shocked and angry. He then responded without any kindness "You are excused. Both of you go now!"

Mabel ran out crying.

I ran after her.

_________________
(3rd Person POV)

Both Great uncles watched as their great niece and nephew ran out.

Stanley turned to Ford. A look of anger on his face.

"Look what you did. What did I tell you?  They're too young and aren't ready. We even got that old dumb maid Alice to state her opinion and she also said they're very young. But nooooo your word is final.  Those kids should have the right make their own choices and not have to live by your stupid ones... I-I ...I don't want to lose those kids. They're important to me even if they aren't to you" Stan said.

"Are you King?! No I didn't think so. As long as their in my Kingdom they live by my rules. I'm only protecting them" Ford snapped back.

Stan scoffed "Hah protecting them... Yeah right. Keep telling yourself that"

Stan then left Ford alone in the room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AN: I'm deciding to do a AN after every chapter now, even if it's not necessary.

Yes I'm making Ford a jerk. Stan's nice in this fanfic though.

I'm trying to write weekly, but I may just write whenever I want.

Well I guess that's it. Please read the next chapter when it comes out. And comment if you have any suggestions.

Oh a please vote. It would make me feel better.

Thanks for reading you majestic dolphins.