independence

The last two weeks have been trying-- to say the least.

It all started with the phone call that I had with Michaela...

"What do you mean you 'ran off with Teo'? You can't be serious!"

I shook my head and bit my lip, finally opening my eyes, staring up at the ceiling. After I missed a few days of school, Michaela called, wanting to check in and make sure I was okay.

What she wasn't expecting was for me to tell her that I was gone and wasn't planning on coming back.

"Look, I'm happy. Can't you be happy for me too?"

"No, Sky! Seriously, what hell even happened to you? When we met, school was your number one priority and now it's some guy?!"

I shut my eyes and nodded, choking back a sob as the lie came out.

"Yup. Listen, I love him, okay? And that's all that matters."

I hung up and dropped the phone on my bed, not giving Michaela any chance to respond. I finally let out a sob, grabbing the pillow from under my head, covering my face with it before screaming.

My relationship with Michaela was effectively over and things with Teo were seemingly warming up a bit, so much to the point that I actually let him hold me last night

My relationship with Michaela was effectively over and things with Teo were seemingly warming up a bit, so much to the point that I actually let him hold me last night. It was the first time since this whole thing started that we had cuddled and I'd be lying if I said it wasn't exactly what I needed.

Which brings me to tonight-- the night of the gala.

As my thumbs twiddled away on my phone, there was a knock on my bedroom door.

"Sky?"

It was Teo.

My breath got caught in my throat as I approached the locked door, looking back at the beautiful gold dress waiting for me on the bed. I turned back to the door a second later, finally finding my voice.